'77 Moby 50 - what's first?

I have a '77 Moby 50 and I'm looking to find out what mods to do first. It runs about 20 on the flats, loses a bunch on hills. I'm not looking for massive speed, just wanna keep up with my Maxi

Re: '77 Moby 50 - what's first?

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

Clean your pipe and bump up to a larger carb/manifold. Do you have a variator or the dimoby clutch? You can buy a NEW variator from Quarterkick.com and that will help for sure.

pipe's clean - original pancake style. dellorto conversion/58 jet on bendy intake. dimoby clutch. doesn't seem to spin up in rpm's while riding like it will on the stand

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

∂itch the dimoby and go for the variator. You will not be disappointed. What size is your bendy? I have had both teeny tiny and decent size intakes. I am now a personal fan of the 15mm stubby guys. I have never run one of the pancake muffs, so I do not know if it is better/worse/the same as a regular stock pipe.

Find a 35mph cylinder.

Ditch any sort of head gasket to increase compression.

or....Get a dremmel and raise your intake 2mm and lower your exhaust port 2mm.

58 jet seams kinda high....I was running a 54 back in the stock days....I also went 38mph, but I had a fast cylinder.

I'd like to have a variator, but it's a bit more involved than just replacing the dimoby isn't it? Not sure about the size of the bendy, but the dellorto fit perfect with the included insert if that helps

I've heard about the fast cylinders,but have yet to find anything that explains how to identify them

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account