50CC puch - need a little more speed

Does increasing the jet size always equal more speed?? i have a stock maxi with a de-restricted pipe that does a solid 30 mph (tested by one of those speed boxes on a street light pole).

I don't want to go crazy fast but getting to 35-37 would be much better i think. Not really interested in spending a lot of money right now on a 60CC kit but from what i have read on here getting the speed range i'm looking for doesn't require money, just the know how.

Any ideas sent this rookies way would be great.

Re: 50CC puch - need a little more speed

gearing + clutch tuning...

We'll need more details of your set-up to really be able to help; truly your best bet is to use the search button and spend a few days reading, that subject has been covered extensively in the past.

i'll count out my gears when i get home from work and post those up here.

I've read alot about the clutch tuning... i'm not sure i quite get it though. Tell me if this is right... By changing my gear ratio for more speed my low end will get bad. If i then tune the clutch to engage at higher RPM's it will help compensate the low end loss due to the gear change.??

I got the za50 and I can't find anywhere on how to tune the clutch in it.

Increasing jet size only equals more speed if you're running way too lean with the setup you've got. If your moped is running well now, throwing a bigger jet in there will make it run slower because your fuel/air mixture will have too much fuel for the moped to get maximum performance.

Yes, if you change your gears to a higher ratio, you will lose acceleration. I have no idea if clutch tuning can improve that, so hopefully someone else will jump in and answer that part of your question.

If you want a relatively simple modification that will net you some extra performance, a performance exhaust is a good place to start. It's more expensive than sprockets, but the cheap ones are still cheaper than a kit. You can read up about them on the wiki, and you can get them from Treats. If you want other ideas, you should check out the Performance Tuning category.

wiki-wiki-wiki

"By changing my gear ratio for more speed my low end will get bad. If i then tune the clutch to engage at higher RPM’s it will help compensate the low end loss due to the gear change.??"

YES! You can't totally make up for a gear ratio biased in favor of low end with clutch tuning, but you can make it MUCH more realistic/rideable.

current gears are 16/45. If i go down in size on the back... how low could i go without completely killing low end? (by the way i'm not that big, only 175lbs)

Does it matter what gear i change? If i swap my rear 45 for like a 40. (which i think would mean in turns 2.25 front/ 1 back) would that get me to 35mph? Or if i leave the back alone and change my 16 in the front to an 18 (Turns = 2.3front/ 1 back) which one of those would be faster with out completely killing my low end??

More air = more hp.

So... open up the air box and re-jetting will give me the speed i want??

I thought puchs where formulaic to get 35mph...Better or no airfilter plus expansion pipe----Then rejet, probably + 2 sizes.

I saw on another thread a guy figured the percentage of speed gain you would get by moving from a 16:45 to a 16:40. How do you figure this out? i am thinking of moving from a 16:45 to an 18:45

16:45 does 30mph with no problem, what could i expect from a 18:45??

get a high flow air filter and an expansion exhaust. you'll probably be htting 40, or close to it, with that.

18/45 gearing WILL completely destroy your low end, especially with a stock pipe and aluminum series cylinder.

how much of that could i recover by tuning the clutch?

bump

Depends on what you do to tune it. You can tune your clutch so it doesn't engage until insanely high RPMs, but the downside is that you'll wear through your clutch bell much faster.

How sensitive are these stock clutches? For example if i tightened the springs in by one 1/2 turn to the right, what would that do? Or should i go in one full turn to the right?

They are not very sensitive. The springs will bind if you tighten the screws too tight. Paz springs are a good idea if you want to tune your clutch, but people have said that they're not any better than the stock springs, so who knows. Read this article if you haven't already. Note that he's working on an aftermarket 3 shoe clutch, rather than the 2 shoe clutch that comes stock on most e50s. http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Clutch_tuning

So i should be alright moving the screws in at 1/2 turn steps till it feels right?

bump

ERIC WOOLF /

I turned them in one turn and will report back

sweet... eric, that would be awesome.

i'm waiting for all my front sprocket and freewheel to come in before i start pulling everything apart.

i just went for a ride and i paid a little more attention to the clutch and i noticed that as soon as i kick on the motor the cluch is already in the slip phase... so needless to say i must tune that thing when i go the 18 front sprocket.

bump

You need need an expansion chamber pipe. Cylinder kits are not stand alone pieces, they assume that you are running a complete setup. That 50cc kit will wake right up if you put an estoril on there. It will likely double or triple(depending on your carburetor) the amount of power your engine is producing, and get you up to 40-45. I would recommend you be running a dellorto 15.15 or a PHBG 16 or higher with that kit.

Moped performance is all about making all of your pieces work together for maximum gain. Look at some of the setups in the tuning spreadsheet, for example.

with a stock set up, would i need to rejet because of the pipe? Or would the pipe on its own give me more power from my stock set up

Ooh, actually I thought you had a 50cc kit for some reason. Too early int he morning, i suppose. Yes, you have to rejet when the configuration of the engine changes, and that includes the exhaust.

yeah no kit yet... still taking baby steps into the tuning. gonna start with the gears and clutch and see how i like it... next would be carb and pipe... then eventually i would move up into the higher CC class.

Eric... any news yet on how your clutch feels after the adjustment.

i pulled off the cluch houseing last night and realized that i need to make a clutch puller to get this thing off

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account