65cc Polini Puch experts- HELP needed

Chris Sorensen /

hey guys... it's been over a year since i've tried working on my ped. had chris at mopedwarehouse in nj install a polini kit on my maxi. suffered a seize. replaced the kit with a new one. suffered a soft seizure and put the ped away in disgust. definitely jetted properly (actually a little rich for break-in). it seems that the problem occured in the same place as the first time... on top of the piston and in the jug just behind the intake port. does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this? i'm thinking that it may be something not pertaining to the tuning, but perhaps a problem with some other component in my e50. any help and/or ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Re: 65cc Polini Puch experts- HELP needed

Chris Sorensen /

Sand with 400 grit wet, put back together and ride

I have seized all my polini's at some point in time.

Dont throw them away unless there are chips in the nikasil lining, sand the material off the cylinder and the part of the piston where it smeared.

Could be a tuning issue, too rich equals too hot at some point as well you know.

Chris Sorensen /

i'm assuming i should replace the ring?

is your case portmatched to the cylinder? the polini has boost ports on the top that NEED gas or they develop a hotspot and sieze. most reed valve kits require mandatory portmatching.

you can run a polini without portmatch for a while but eventually u will trash it within months if not weeks.

also on SOME polinis when you tighten down the intake nuts too tight it lodges the piston inside. I have seen it with my two eyes...so if you're worried about air leaks, be careful smashing down those bolts.

Chris Sorensen /

i'll check the intake nuts. chris at mopedwarehouse port-matched the sides, but not the top. should i look into doing this?

You should do it, not just look into it.

You dont need to replace the ring, unless there is signs of blow-by

lol, portmatching the sides is a performance tuning thing, portmatching the top is a not blow up your moped thing.

btw the signs of blow by are concentrated dark spots near the ring on the piston wall.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

harold, not everyone seizes un-portmatched polini's. I'm not recommending it, but I know some peeps that haven't and are going strong. Crazy enough, my polini made more power unportmatched! (??__+_)

how about your conrod being out of whack possibly?

"Could be a tuning issue, too rich equals too hot at some point as well you know." never heard that could you please explain how that works

also the intake bolts are important that they are not hyper tight or too long, i think the holes go strait to the case studs if i rember correctly and that can cuase warping and alot of issues.

also how do u know its tuned right? just cuz ur rich at one place doesn't mean its rich at all throttle locations, also how much oil are you running? What size jet? carb? is the motor rebuilt? are you surer there are no air leaks? also make sure your not running too hot becuase the timing is full advance and the gap is too big. also make sure ur electrical is not giving you the false impression of being too rich.

tuning tuning tuning, champher the edges of ur polini ports as well.

Chris Sorensen /

how would I know if my Conrod was out of whack? Its stock original with 350 miles on it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account