maxi sport advice

hello everyone. i'm looking to put together a solid, everyday commuter for heavy city traffic. so, i'm focusing on low-end, and i would like to avoid a kit for now. i've researched the forum quite a bit (this is my first puch), but i would value your opinion on the following plan:

specs:

78 maxi sport hi-torque.

2hp model

everything stock

plan:

proma gp or tecno boss exhaust

15mm bing

high comp head

high flow air filter

goal: mid-upper 30's at WOT. great acceleration.

thoughts? suggestions? i've read a lot of people love the boss, but it's availability seems limited. also, is the maxi sport's stock cylinder head considered a high-comp head, hence the "hi-torque" label? if so, i'd obviously scrap the after market high compression head.

thanks in advance,

zac

Re: maxi sport advice

i'd go with a tecno estoril instead of the boss. great low and mid range torque.

thanks seth.

Kits are great for low end if they are tuned for low end...

i might eventually kit, but i'm baby-stepping it there. i have much to learn.

i have a 14 mm bing, boss, high torque head and 2 speed that isn't tuned right yet, but it does a solid 37.

cheap way to be faster. avoid kitting until you know your bike well.

ps- i have terrific low end with the two speed.

that sounds like a great setup. i'm not a big fan of running techno estorils on stock bikes, they are really set up for higher displacement. there is a huge soggy spot in the mid-low power band on a stock puch that will really piss you off if you have to start from a stoplight going up a hill.

the proma gp will give you better low end than the boss.

you can also cut (shorten) your top piston skirt a mm or so to increase your intake timing- it wont hurt your bottom end significantly and it will really help the top end power, so your bike can go 35 up hill rather than hitting a hill and bogging down to 30. while you're putting on the pipe you can open and match the outlet of your exhaust port to the pipe as well for a noticeable gain.

you are definitely taking the right approach to this, baby steps, one or two small changes at a time until you learn how to talk to your engine. good luck!

"i might eventually kit, but i’m baby-stepping it there. i have much to learn."

i wish more people would take this aprouch, rather than the more common "i bought a moped last week how do i make it go really fast" post.

oh that? i just said that so i didn't take a proper bashing. i just bought an 80cc gila! okay...not really. and again, thanks to everyone for the advice.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account