athena 70cc head problems

I just got my 70cc athena kit from 1977mopeds and i can't get my cylinder head to work any tips would be helpfull or any one else with this kit just use a the puch hc head

Re: athena 70cc head problems

You can use your 50cc high compression head. You will have better compression anyhow. Those after market heads suck... It didnt come with the kit right?

the stock head from my puch wouldn't seal and my kit didn't come with a head.

I used a hc head. I thought that the original head was supposed to work on the Athena cyl though.

Go to the parts store and get some valve lapping compound. Put some on the cylinder lip and with pressure, rotate the cylinder hear back and forth ending up with the proper orientation. Clean things up REAL good and bolt her down. Should seal like a MOFO then...stndard procedure on VW's.

SO you tried the 50cc hc head and it didn't seal? Because it should match right up and seal fine.

Also, lapping the head is a big deal. Do it on a sheet of glass. You have to make sure you are doing it on a flat surface and glass works perfectly...

my orginal head sealed the first time i used it and then from there it wouldn't seal the thing is there only about 1mm of metal canacting the outside of the cylender because now oils just leaks out of the head like crazy and i put more and even went up to 12 pounds of torque any more than that i risk warping my head.

I had some issues sealing my 50cc HC head on the athena kit. I took a file to the head and slightly ground down the little protrusions around where the studs go through. No problems after that.

I used the athena hi-comp head that is matched to that kit although it is a bit spendy it is an exact fit and 1977 can get it fir you, bonus it looks super stock 4 you. I had no seal problems and it is silly fast after break in.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account