Tips for Ninja G3 intallation

After a trip to the bank, i finally ordered a G3 for my wonderful motobecane! im basically crapping my pants about this, im gonna intall it on my 62 malossi w/ a varplus so i can start poppin wheelies.

anyways, i dont know if these come with instructions but i kind of doubt it. Ive been told there is a restrictor that should be removed, and i also know it can be difficult to mount it properly. Im just looking for some tips on the best way to get this thing bolted on and happy on my setup... you know, i dont wanna go strippin my threads or nothin.

Obviously a new crush gasket and some red loctite is in the cards, but basically what else is there to know? Thanks mon amis,

-Steve

Re: Tips for Ninja G3 intallation

bump

Tha FishSticks /

easiest way to do it is to get the bracket on the swing arm loose, then attach the front end with the springs. easiest way ive found is a screw driver, i hope you know what im mean, basically get the leverage out of the screw driver. attach the pipe to the bracket on the swing arm and slide the bracket where it wants to go. tighten it down there, get the bike variating and make sure its all smooth and the pipe isnt holding the bike back from variating fully. have fun, fly hi

ah yea i know what you mean with the screwdriver... ill do that. ill try that. anyone else?

its best if u remove the kickstand and cut the mount for it off on the pipe side so that u can properly tuck it up under.

Mock it all up loosely, variate the motor, and play with the kick stand and you will see what i am talking about, its sad but g3's need to lose the kickstand.

I got a nice side stand fro my moby, i actually like it alot better than the janky center stand.

Tha FishSticks /

yeah i forgot. cut off wheel, took like 4 seconds, butter.

oooh yea yea kickstand removal. forgot about that. can do.

isnt there a restrictor that needs to be removed somewhere? or does it come ready-to-kick-ass?

yea i found some nice side stands at a local bike shop. theyre 15 bucks and so far mount up well... my friend w/ a magnum has one and it holds up to his weight.

the restricter is a small washer welded into the stinger you will see it if u look into back of the pipe its at the end and very obvious, dremil it out b4 u attach the muffler

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

I was at the Wonder Kamp when Quarterkick got those in. It was a beautiful sight for sure. I recommend a coat of high temp paint on the pipe. I did an install of a G2 with the same setup you are planning and it started to rust a little. 1 can of high temp black and the pipe is even sexier.

paint? Gag.

hmm ok thats something i hadnt considered. yea i kinda like the look of the G3s stock, but maybe i can find some sort of clear hi temp paint? does such a thing exist? where did it rust... mostly on the header?

oh another question... would it behoove me to use some sort of hi temp grease on the ball joint? Ive never actually seen a g3 in action, but im guessing some grease would help it variate and possibly keep exhaust from leaking at the joint. maybe not.

oh haha and does it come with instructions? thatd be nice.

thanks all,

-Steve

_isnt there a restrictor that needs to be removed somewhere? or does it come ready-to-kick-ass?_

I didnt know you wanted the kick ass model. But seriously you cant miss the restrictor... its huge and makes the pipe have a 10mm header.

As far as mounting it up goes I'm sure you will be fine, if you can rebuild your entire engine you can put this pipe on.

Nick

name drop <www.quarterkick.com>

ummm name drop quarterkick

"I didnt know you wanted the kick ass model. But seriously you cant miss the restrictor&#8230; its huge and makes the pipe have a 10mm header."

thats what the doppler pipe restrictor is like

there is no restrictor in the header on g3's. I don't want u to get confused.

Agreed. The washer is on the stinger. Conti it's in the header. Doppler it's in the ball joint.

Loosing my side stand was sad, especially now that my bike starts first kick, although I can show anyone that now. But blasting makes up for it.

haha i guess i shoulda specified eh? yea the ready-to-kick-ass model is preferable. A washer in the stinger seems like a cakewalk. shit even if its in the header i know what a washer looks like haha.

alright, thanks a lot guys... i guess hes right, if i can rebuild an engine i can install a pipe. lets just hope i dont eat those words!

oh and nick did you by chance throw in some seals w/ me stuff? thanks all,

-Steve

ok, so i went to install the pipe and realized i had a leak in my gas tank (FUCK!), so i dropped the engine, turned the bike on her backside and got out the JBweld.

in the meantime i figured id do everything I could w/o actually mounting the pipe on the engine. Since red loctite takes 24 hours to cure, like the JBweld, i decided to thread the ball joint into the cylinder and let it sit overnight. well upon closer examination i realized the ball joint isnt a hex nut.

Welllllll.... what do you guys use to really tighten the thing on? I did a few test runs, and i can get it pretty damned tight with a screwdriver and a rubber mallet... i just pop the screwdriver into one of the 4 recessess and tap it with the mallet. But i dont feel like this is enough to really CRUSH into that crush gasket.

Any other techniques? Or is there something im missing? Make a tool? Thanks,

-Steve

PS i examined all the hardware and you were all right... its a simple installation, all the nuts and bolts are pretty self explanitory.

Yeah hammer and tap should do it, i however use a proper steel hammer and not a rubber mallet, just be careful and it should be fine.

Also the moped mechanics best friends will get that ball joint on nice and tight.

Channel locks!!!!

haha channel locks indeed. the close cousin of the vice grips. between vice grips, channels, and a hammer/screwdriver combo.... well that is a triple threat, hopefully that should do me right.

thanks elliot, once again. btw once this bike is "done" its going to be a complete clone of your 62malossi, G3, varplus, 15 del bike. Like everything good, it starts on the west coast and makes its way over to the east.

ok so i got in on the bike OK but didnt have time to test it out much. I think i tightened the "hinged" points on the back too much so it had trouble variating... my spark plug wire is also too short which doesnt help.

my timing may be off but i havent touched it since i had it at 2.0 mm btdc... it was behaving strangely though, like it was running too rich no matter what. I started with an 84, to be safe, and it fired right up, idled, but wouldnt go anywhere with gas. Went down to a 78 like elliot's in the spreadsheet, nothing. made it all the way down to 68 and it still wasnt having it... so i stopped for the day. whoooo knows. ill probably figure it out.

I use one of these...it a crank wrench for a bicycle...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account