Re: Calling out A55 Tuners!

i've got an a35 ignition on my a55. a55 cdi worked. running 31 20 gearing. no other way to fit a 31 on the front with the external a55 pickup. my 70cc airsal was paced at 64 the other night. get ready to start rebuilding or replacing clutches.

p.s. shaw, you still have cork and glue? papa needs some new clutches. pedaling up even the sligthest incline is no way to look awesome. i don't have your new number. maybe i'll just stop by the container soon.

It's been vibing since the beginning, I remember riding Tommy's bike when he first go it and it was the same thing. I thought some meatballs were gonna shoot down my leg after riding.

hey dustin, I'm at moped junkyard. do you have the:

TOMOS A35 CDI (ELECTRONIC) Ignition or the

Iskra STD Ignition with points?

Bruce --

I see they have lots of choices. Which did you use? Did you put them where the engine bolts to the bike frame?

Bruce Edwards /

Yep. I bored out the stock engine mount hole slightly and then put in a sleeve. That sleeve fit the ID of the mount that I fit in the custom engine mount I got from Sound Speed Scooters for their Tomahawk Romeo frame designed for the A55 Tomos engine.

Bruce Edwards /

Maybe a little too custom for most....

http://www.msdpowersports.com/single_cylinder.html

the msd single cylinder cdi module could sole the proble, i looked at the wiring diagram and it doesnt seem too bad.

Group A connectors:

ORANGE Connects to Coil positive (+)

Brow/OrangConnects to Coil negative (-)

Violet On/Off, connect to switched +12 volts

Black Ground, connect to battery negative or crankcase ground

Red Connect to battery positive, 12 volts

Group B connectors:

Blue Launch RPM Limit, the launch rpm is active when connected to ground

Trigger Pickups

Green Magnetic pickup negative

Violet Magnetic pickup positive

See Figure 3 on page 4 for information about pickup polarity.

Note: The mag pickup wires are never connected when the White wire is used. And vice-versa.

White Hall Effect trigger input or kill switch to ground

Brown/White Timing Curve B Select. When connected to ground, Timing Curve B is active

Throttrottle Position Wiring

Yellow TPS input signal

Black TPS ground

Red TPS +5 volt signal output

L

ED An LED indicator will be On when there is valid trigger input and can be used as a static ignition timing indicator with the Hall Effect pickup input

http://www.hpi.be/cdi.htm

hpi makes performance cdis those high revving puchs use.

this cdi box is pretty muchthe same concept i dunno if it has the throttle position wiring and stuff but its also programmable.

http://www.hpi.be/mesonix.htm

and this is a really cool standalone ignition that relys on your points only as a trigger and takes care of the rest in this little unit. only problem is the whole floating points issue

is the cdi a direct plug in

if it is where can i get it i cant seem to find a place to buy it

this is the lame, ive seen a55s here in richmond with airsal kits and they arent going fast at all... I just started to dust off my a55 and i guess im gonna tinker with this shit... fuck im gonna settle this to do upper 50's gees.... considering fucking around with a dirtbike cdi....

pics? sabat?

so was this ever settled, can you swap the cdi out of an a35 into a a55 and ditch rev limitations?

Yes. you can go a35 cdi and bypass the limits.

so how sure are we all that the a55 is really rev limited>? who has done this swap?

I really never found a definitive answer? Is there a rev limiter on an a55 CDI, and are they interchangeable with the a35 CDI's. What kind of pick up is there when switching to an a35 CDI.

SABAT! andDestroy /

oh yes. i forgot about this

ive switched to a a35 cdi box, and flywheel.

differences ive noticed is a little less low end, but a increase in top end speed and rpms.

here are pics of the stock a55 ignition

note the raised piece of steel and the trigger that reads rpms.

whats great is the cdi advanced automatically in the low end for more power, but automatically retard in the high rpms.

its a good/reliable system, but lacks if you want a top speed.

go a35 or HPI

what you'll need from the a35 motor, is just the flywheel, and the Cdi Module

hope this helps~SABAT!

SABAT! andDestroy /

its rev limited for sure.

i used a timing light and marked TDC on the flywheel, you can see the advance move around when you rev it.

like i said, its not a bad system makes alot of power, just not for top speed applications.

~SABAT!

1236552865_mem_full_003.jpg

Thanks alot for the help SABAT,

just wondering if the fly wheel and the CDI Module from the a35 fit on the a55 without any modification.

SABAT! andDestroy /

yep bolts right up. the difference with the flywheels is that they are timed different and not many a35 came with electric start so i had to ditch mine. literally i lost it on a ride somewhere.

so im running a stock top end again, technigas, 27x28 currently , 72 jet uni pod filter. a35 ignition extra advanced, oh and some mild porting on the piston.

to make tomos set up's rule you gotta do up the clutches, i keep putting it off but max payne's clutch thread is good stuff.

"here":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=7&i=32637&t=32378

goodluck everyone , SABAT!

just out of curiosity, can you do anything to an a35 to make it faster via removing rev limiter?

SABAT! andDestroy /

advance the timing on a35 bikes.

all the way, it knocks back the rev limit 2000 rpms.

~SABAT!

I've got a kitted Streetmate, with big carb, estroil pipe, 27 24 gears and it screams.?? It bogs off the line a bit but once it gets moving RPM's don't seem to be a problem.

SABAT! andDestroy /

top speed?

maybe you have a a35 ignition? tomos did weird stuff 03-06'

i could feel mine kick in. it sucked, when i had my kit 45mph wall id hit.

~SABAT!

A35 igntion, 13k rpm, 60+ mph, then I seized. Not the igntions fault. Its the simplist way to give the A55 revs,

Do you happen to how many rpms you can get the a55 cdi up to. Also, has anybody tried the hpi cdi for a55s. I believe treats just began selling them.

Bump

thats strange about your ped not starting up without the pickup steve. I removed mine and it started up just fine.

so anyone have any updates or anything they want to add to this?

just curious where everyone got with there a55's and cdi's and everything.

Don't buy the airsal kit, port your stock cylinder to 155 exhaust, 120 transfer, 140 intake, widen exhaust to 67%~ bore, widen intake to 70%~ bore, deck the head for about 160 psi compression, run a Ducati blue cdi box from a scooter, gear 28/22, run Motul gear oil, Biturbo, stock carb jetting around 72-76 main, 210 diffuser, needle middle-ish, idle 35-40, Uni pod filter. Done.

dont port your stock cylinder unless you want to go sllooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

get the kit.yay!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account