Re: best kit for an e50

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

I still think polini is the best kit for puch. They rip hard, both low, mid and top end (elliots does like 65), and they are proven. There are some sick gila's out there, but from what I've seen, they are about as fast as the fastest polini's when paired with a 24 mikuni and simonini. Price wise, gila is cheaper, but now discontinued, or so they say...

So yea, if you want a puch kit, polini is the best.

I think people are warning against the 2 (metra/gila) as first kits because it will be difficult to get the most out of it, and if you haven't messed with all the variables before, chances are it will break. I started with a polini and rode it very hard, then had some problems. I've taken a step back and am working with 50cc now to gain even better understanding of how everything works, then once I'm doing 50 on 50cc I'll return to the larger kitted realm. I think too many people kit their bikes too soon. They aren't built to do 50+, so you need to make sure its solid and not going to blow up on you.

Most people warning about blowing up the kit are probably doing so because they've done it themselves and are trying to help you save some time, money and frustration. Seizing your new $500 setup sucks pretty bad.

sry if i come off like an ass sometimes but i have seen so many new ppl in SF go for kits n and big setups that require alot of custom parts and shit right off the bat and FAIL.

I would suggest stepping up more gradually to familiarize yourself more with the machine and its characteristics, there are many other variables and things that need to be considered on the ped than just slapping on a big kit and big pipe such as considering what happens when you double the designed max speed and rpm of you machine. I'm not saying you can't do it but, you basically have to rebuild the entire bike (motor-wheels) and spend alot of $$ if your gonna do it right, and I'm a firm believer in building it right.

and if you do manage to build it right the 1st time and tune it perfectly into a reliable blast machine then my hats off to you. Personally i have never seen anyone do this b4. most new ppl who try either seize, breakdown over and over, or crash on their 1st ride with creatures.

I'm merely suggesting you take the same path I have taken to fast bikes: taking it slow and learning what each part does and how everything really works, and more importantly how everything breaks.. of coarse if its not your main form of transportation then your risking alot less and by all means jump in there. I often forget most of MA doesn't use mopeds as such,.my advice is always biased towards using ones ped as their primary transportation.

goodluck and get wrenching!

nah i have respect for the guys telling me to take some caution. erks me hardcore when people aren't giving me specifics (as if i'm a total newbie with no understanding of the complexity of a kit). apologies for the duality of my question.

i'm taking this project slow (probably won't be done with it until the end of this year). i'm rebuilding four bikes and a couple engines before this project takes all my focus.

i want this bike to be ready once we have our first rally here in charlotte.

I just got done putting a 65cc Metrakit on an E-50 with just a Dellorto 16.16 SHA - 82 jet, 3-shoe clutch and it still has the Bi-turdo that was on the bike when I bought it. I also put a 50cc hi-comp head on it. Gearing is 16:45 (just put a bigger one on front for now). I match-ported the transfers and that was it. The guide on the Wiki is great.

After that upgrade without a lot of hassle, it's ripping at 48 and hasn't given a lick of trouble at all.

Nice thing about Metrakits is they are cast-iron cylinders, so if it should ever hard-seize you can get it bored out and upsize.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Rebuild_a_Puch_E50_Engine

^^ how accurate is this in the port matching area? this is the kind of work i was expecting. I hadn't planned on there being much more (for an 80cc kit) than boring the case out to match the cylinder (which i was going to get done at a machine shop). as far as the matching goes, I was going to take my time and hand file all of it.

i followed the wiki it helped me out for sure, yup the 80cc only difference is the case boring,if i had a bit like the one in the wiki it would have save me lots of time.

u dont need to hand file all of it. if youwant to be really carful at least use thedremel to do 80% of the work then make it perfect by hand.

cool man. what kind of angles are people taking as far as the slope of the port matching? while i'm in there should i do a port match of the exhaust and intake or will they already be in pretty good shape with the kit?

can a motorcycle or small engine shop (snowmobile engines are a lot like our engines) re-nickasil a cylinder?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ yes

Yes they can; I had my RD cylinders lined with nikasil it was $270 each. I wouldn't do it again.

gotta love money...

so i'm reposting a previous question...

does anyone know if the gila kit on the e 50 prefers back pressure?

all 2 strokes do, but it's not really "back pressure" its waves read jennings and a.bells 2 stroke tuning guides in the wiki.

so tuning for back pressure should be included with the exhaust expansion chamber set up?

2 things that should be done to every kit.

match the transfer ports and match the intake port to the intake manifold. depending on the kit you really shouldnt be porting your intake window. you can roughen up the passageway to help atomize fuel if you are running piston port though. what you should be paying attention to is the exhaust. every kit out there can be opened up at least 1mm on each side and that always adds a couple mph.

i've been wikiing it up but the only useful one i could find is this:

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Calculating_timing

any help with the links to the reed and jennings guides? i found the plug chop guide by jennings.

thanks. i was wondering if the exhaust port should be touched up. I never read anywhere about roughing the intake port for turbulence. thats a cool trick man. thanks.

this wednesday benjis hookin me up with a gila kit. figured i'd at least have one sitting in my garage for after i've kitted a few more bikes.

p.s. if i'm running a reed set up should i worry about roughing it up or should i just make sure it's low volume with a real clean bend in it for smooth flow?

found the guides. haha.

i got dizzy for staring at a computer screen for like 40 hours.

all it took was one night of the high life and now i'm right as rain. funny how that happens. they've got the magic and i've got the moves.

don't over calculate, what works on paper doesn't always work on mopeds (that the funny thing about mopeds as opposed to big bikes).

measure 10 times and cut once and u get one result.

measure once, cut 10 times and u get 10 results to choose from.

the best experience is 1st hand, practice practice practice...

Be fore you get ur kit sorted out you should throw on a cheapo pipe, grab the 60-70 range of bing jets and get up in ur stock shit with the dremil, you will learn alot with very little $$ and gain some valuable hrs in ur motor.

yeah i've a few kits i'll be doing before i even start the big build with this one. i'm excited about doing the rebuild on this rigid so i'm buying parts up for it now.

i'm probably going to try and find another e50 bottom end that i can play around with different kits and just bolt on to my ktm foxi frame while i'm tuning it. buy the time i have the final kit produced i'll probably have ten rebuilt (and running) engines under my belt.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account