After running a 62cc Malossi for 3/4 year and stripping out the exhaust, I decided a few months ago to make the leap to the 70cc Parmakit. Here is the story:
I strapped the baby up and it was hot:
I first put on the kit and broke a ring in the process (the wrist pin was too big). Damn it. Well it's running with one ring (top) and It doesn't seem to have any compression issues, so whatever. After no obtainable lowend with the 16mm Dellorto, I upgraded to a 19mmm and bought a 19mm intake as well.
I end up keeping the 85 jet in there and it seems to run well. I did have to drop the needle a notch to the lowest setting, to gain a better progression. I also upgraded to the Malossi variplus and ended up with the lightest weights. In the end it looked like this:
As you can see I moved my HT coil and relocated my condenser away from the heat and to make it more accessible.
With this set up, I was getting speeds of around 55mph on flat ground. But low and behold, the problems ensue.
First, I get a recommendation to bolt the pipe on directly to the swingarm, to gain the use of my peddles again. Sounds good in theory, but in practice, not so great. The pipe ended up coming loose in the back all the time, and then finally it popped out, hit the ground and pulled the pipe right out of the cylinder, destroying the threads. This lead me to this:
Put a four hole bracket behind your cylinder in between the fins and get the strongest springs you can clip on there. Your on your own when it comes to sealing it up though....
So far, I have broken two cams, two cranks, a clutch and wore out countless mounts in the process. After I broke the clutch plate, I got the notion to weld the clutch taper directly to the clutch bracket (thanks Rufus!) and do away with the shoes and plate all together. Here's a pic, if you didn't get all that:
....after all, I had one of these I ordered from France, so I no longer needed the clutch part:
I think having bad mounts might have cause numerous alignment problems and contributed to my crank shearing all the time. I stole this idea from Lee.
You get these rubber stoppers from any Ace Hardware and they fit right in. I used various size large washers (big on the outside and smaller ones on the inside) to keep the bolt from penetrating the rubber. They create a bit of vibration, but not nearly as bad as Peter's method (sorry Peter). They are tapered, so you could get really big ones and carve them to your heart desire. So cheap and so effective.
I put a Moby7 wheel on for the 43 sprocket.
I also replaced the stock ignition with CDI. No more points and condensers and broken cams...thank god....
Here's my bike as it is now:
...oh....and the bike rips. The clutch pulley is insane.
....also, I'm going to have the kit welded and re-tapped and then I'm going to try out the Conti Pipe. Bret and I measured it, and it appears to have the same dimensions as the Doppler...more to come.
I can't believe you read this whole thing!