another tomos clutch post.

ok today i was gonna take the clutch apart so i can mod it to shift later, but i decided to try a super heavy gear oil first.

i drained the SAE 30 motor oil out of my tranny, and put in some heavy duty 85w-145w gear oil in there.

this is what i found. no obvious difference period. maybe a little more slippage, but im still shifting at or before 15mph.

so now im gonna try one of these 3 things prolly in this order until im happy with my clutch.

1 put 45* cuts in each of the 6 pads. 1st and 2nd gear, and im not sure how thick each is gonna be yet. any feedback on that process?

2 Drill some holes in each of the weights to lighten the shoes to theoretically make the springs stronger and shift later.

3 cut the springs on the 1st and 2nd gear clutch more so on the 2nd gear to allow my ped more rpms and so it stays in its power band. only 2-3 springs at first and then more until i shift into 2nd gear around 23-25 mph.

my streetmateR has got a technigas, currently trying to get the right jets, a 24 rear sprocket, and a new piston for my 70cc kit i trashed on the way.

any feedback will be greatly appreciated..

Re: another tomos clutch post.

you going for top speed? you should go with a 22 tooth, and a biturbo. If you're going for good everything but top speed, then never mind.

what? im sorry what are you talking about?

i mentioned nothing about top speed. and that has little to do with what im doing. ive got a technigas, witch is way better than any bi turbo.

im sorry please re-interate what you mean...~SABAT!

The Tomos maintenance manual says that using

10W30 will increase shift speed. IT DIDN'T!!!

but gear oil? holly shit!!!

>i drained the SAE 30 motor oil out of my tranny, and put in >some heavy duty 85w-145w gear oil in there.

>his is what i found. no obvious difference period. maybe a >little more slippage, but im still shifting at or before 15mph.

Careful with just arbitrarily dumping oil into a Tomos transmission, if the wrong oil is used it will eat at your clutch pads and the glue holding them on.

i know.~SABAT!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account