I'm dumb, my Sachs 505 is a C, not a D. Options?

So much contention here on Sachs bikes. :-) I read somewhere on this site that Sachs C engines did not exist and I didn't know where to find the model - so when I found my 104 A Bing carb with the square cylinder, I just assumed it was a D as the wiki says (Wiki says this is the carb that comes with the D motor, so I guess that should be changed, huh? Of course, I guess someone could have swapped this one on too, but doubtful).

But today while digging for something else, I found the long C/D debate and finally located my engine block plate where it does in fact say it's a C.

Poop.

Regardless, I still get a good speed as it is, fully stock. I have some leakyness that I want to redo on the engine with some new gaskets and get 'er all cleaned up. I'm toping out at 31-32 right now, some stuttering between 10-15mph which on consultation with others seems as though it may be a bum clutch. Once it gets over the 15mph hump, it really climbs to 30mph quick.

But I'm planning on modding it. I want to get it over 40mph so I can ride with traffic instead of on the side of it.

I was thinking of going with the following set up. Is this overkill? If I mod, I want to mod it right, so no point in spending the money on an "ok" set up, but don't want to break the bank either.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Athena 80cc kit

Dellorto 21mm carb

Malossi 90 degree filter

For the exhaust, I wanted to try the Peugot 103, but was informed the Bullet might work better. Both need a mod to be put on, apparently. Anyone else have any other options for exhaust with minimal mods for a Sachs?

Re: I'm dumb, my Sachs 505 is a C, not a D. Option

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

So you just want 40ish? If so, that all sounds a bit excessive, and is by no means an easy setup to tune.

You could just use a larger carb (puch bings fit) on the intake, say a 14mm (or even a 12mm if you have a 10mm), and then get the bullet or biturbo or estoril and mod it to work on the stock cylinder. That alone should get you pretty close, if not over 40 and wouldn't cost more than $200 MAX if you paid someone to modify the pipe.

My 505 d cylinder is doing 37-38 all stock, so I'm just going to put on a 14 bing and better air filter and it should be doing 40+.

dean at Seattle Mopeds has the line on sachs pipes. give them a try.

If not I have a puch bullet i wont been needing sometime next week.

Well, I shouldn't say I JUST want 40. :-) Of course going faster would be nice. But I wouldn't ever race the thing...

I'm actually mounting a Estoril to a Sachs Balboa at the moment with a Athena Reedvalve kit on it. I also did the pipe for Dean at Seattle Mopeds. Clearing the pedals with Estoril is going to be a problem on a Balboa actually. Might take a little finessing with the crank arm to make things clear.

-naz

i just got that 80cc on my sachs C-engine balboa and the damn thing keeps breaking everything. i'm going to tear the engine down tonight to see if i can figure out why, but so far i've broken my beautiful (and really well made) puegot 103 simonini pipe in three places, broken my intake- now fixed, and it shakes like crazy. It is stock-geared, which sucks.

the short crank also gives it really crappy acceleration off the line, but when that pipe hits at about 15 mph, helooo shirley.

i've bult at least 15 or so kitted motors from the ground up, and a few very high rpm stock motors, and never run into this crap, i'm really frustrated.

anybody know why sachs shake so damn much? everyone at the rally basically said 'yeah... they do' i'm getting sick of this crap.

Yeah, mine shakes at 30 as well, I thought I had to repack the wheels or something. I have no maintenance records on the thing, so one of these days when I get some time I want to just tear everything down....

So you're basically doing the same conversion I want to, weird. What carb are you running? Having issues with the clutch too? I read somewhere else that modding a Sachs will tear up the clutch pretty frequently... Before everything broke, what kind of speeds were you getting?

If you want to go fast, i suggest two things:

1) Sell the sachs./replace cylinder with d (good luck finding one)

2) buy a puch.

I poop on your puch!! :-)

It will go fast, I'll show you!!!!!

Don't worry about it being a C, A or B if you are going to replace the cylinder. 47cc = ABC 49cc=D

I'm looking for stronger motor mounts, but it might be the gears in the transmission that cause the out of balance situation. I'd say check the balance on the crankshaft, but I've never seen anything on balancing the rotating assembly on a 1 cylinder engine.

I think my gears are all chewed up anyway, so I should probably address that. I'm going to start small this weekend and just tear the whole thing down and get it all cleaned up and start from something clean and fresh...

good luck, liz. it can totally be done, but most people opt not to because it takes a lot of time and welding abilities. my bf has a stock eagle II with the d motor that does 40 bone stock.

I have a foxi with a sachs engine, and its super easy to work on... but it'll always be slow. too hard to find a good pipe and clutch.

i also have a puch two speed, however, and youll be eating my dust.

I smell a challenge. CHALLENGE!! lol

Yeah, my brother will be handling the welding. :-) He's actually the go to guy locally for import tuning/turboing on cars.

He laughed at my moped, but as soon as he got on it, he thought it was fun. I'm going to do as much as I can, but as soon as we get to the fine tuning/cluck/welding, it's off to him...

I'm doing a tad over 30mph right now running sort of rough bone stuck.

I made some speed holes in my larger transmission gear. I'm not quite done- I'm having a hard time adjusting back to a Dremel, after using air tools. It's going to get more smoothed out.

Why? less rotating mass always helps.

1212203456_speed.jpg

She already has a D cylinder. She just doesn't have a D crank.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account