new seals now crank is tight

ok i have a new crank with new seals and bearings. should the crank spin freely?

with the case apart it spins fine but when i put the case on with the case screws tight ,the crank is very hard to spin.if i loosen the case screws then it turns easy.

i am thinking that the seals are new so its grabing onto the crank.

Re: new seals now crank is tight

Did you lubricate your seals?

Your bearings are probably off a bit.

What type engine? I doubt your crank is bent that much. I second the lube with heavy grease on seals

i didnt grease the seals .ill try that thanks

I'm with Brennan make sure your bearings are centered if they are crooked it will spin when the case is loose and then get tough when you crank the case down, what type of engines is it?

e50

Yeah dude, try to reseat your bearings. My dollars are on that being the problem.

i found the problem.it was the crank seal was too close to the crank so when i went to make it tight it would squish the seal into the crank.

Bet that would have caused a world of heartache if you hadn't caught it.

the seal is rubbing classic

I don't know about Mopeds, but when i was a tech for Kawasaki we used to heat the cases to seat the bearings in all the way. When I worked on jet engines we'd put the bearings in dry ice to get them to fall in the turbine sections fully.

On this particular engine that isn't necessary. The only heating you need to do is to heat up the bearings before you slide them onto the crank shaft and the drive shaft. Makes life way easier. the case splits horizontally, so when you close it up it grabls the bearings and seals. See here

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account