PA 50 stumbles/hesitates at full throttle - help!

I have a 1988 Suzuki FA 50. I can't get the bike over about 20 mph. It pulls good up to about 20 using part throttle, but when you give it full throttle it stumbles and bogs down until you return to part throttle. I know the bike has more speed in it. I took the carb apart already, it was clean and the jet wasn't clogged or dirty. I also cleaned all of the carbon off of the exhaust port. Fuel is new. I haven't had time to look at or change the plug but I don't believe that has anything to do with my problem. What should i do next? I was wondering if maybe there is a dirty fuel filter somewhere or maybe an ignition problem? I'm not sure. Any suggestions? Also if anyone has any performance tips they would be appreciated. I'm looking for more top speed. I hope to get the bike in the 30-35mph range.

Re: PA 50 stumbles/hesitates at full throttle - he

jet?

take your air filter off. try that. if it helps, get a new filter.

Yeah, run it around the block without the element in the air filter. Its the thing on the side that looks like a smoke detector. If that helps, clean the filter and soak it in oil and wring it out and replace, or just cover the hole with panty hose. Those are fun little bikes. I'm parting one out if you end up needing any odds or ends. Pretty well picked over but lemme know.

BUT DO NOT RIDE IT WITHOUT THE FILTER!!!!!!

YOU WILL FUCK IT UP!!!!

Yeah, I tried that the other day, no change. It seems like a simple problem but I don't see any obvious causes for it in the bike. To me everything looks ok.

PA 50 stumbles/hesitates at full throttle - help!

Not getting fuel, you sure the main jet is clean?

The main jet is clean. I was thinking about possibly trying the next size up just to see if it would make a difference. I don't see any numbers on the one in there though so I don't know what size to get. Who knows maybe the previous owner put an incorect one in. I get up to 23-24 real smooth then when I get on it it bucks a little then bogs down. Air filter is definitely ok exhaust looked clean too when I had it off.

I will take the plug out tomorrow and look at it and probably get a new one.

Have you checked the reeds? Clean them up and see if theres a difference. Then, burn out your muffler and see if that helps. Only do one thing at a time and see if theres a positive or negative difference. Hope this helps. Joe

Where are reeds located and what do they do?

Hey Matt-

I also have a 88 Suzuki Fa-50 with this same problem. My bike accelerates pretty well up until the 24-26 mph range, and then boggs down.

My brother and I have taken the carb apart which seems to be fine, and I have no idea where to go from here. Let me know if you've figured anything out!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account