Porting tools

anybody have suggestions as to what tools to gather before i do any port work on a cylinder?

Re: Porting tools

Dremel tool with flex shaft an assortment of deburring bits for it and a set of hand files. Thats what I am using anyway but I am sure some other gurus will chime in.

for port matching all i used was a tungsten carbide cutting bit (i had two, one that was fat and one that was narrow, and really only used the narrow one), and then some varying grit sandpaper.

i used a tungsten bit like steve, and also the sandpaper. the sandpaper's very important, don't skip it

Dremel for the intake and exhaust, riffler files for transfers

any more advice? maybe some technique could help, i don't wanna waste this.

go really really slow. you can always take away more metal, it's much harder to add it. also, it's really easy and fun!

I use a pneumatic micro-die grinder by Sioux, and bits from CC specialty. Barring that, a dremel with a flexi-shaft is pretty solid. Since you're new, I would use grinding bits, rather than cutting bits. Model railroad builders use a handful of very long bits, finding these would be worthwhile. I also recommend using a large vice to either mount the cylinder or the grinding tool. If a mill or lathe -type table (with two vices and the ability to roll towards each other) is available, use it. Make sure that the area is VERY well lit, preferrably in an ambient way to reduce glare. It may help the accuracy of your marks if you spray paint with primer the inside of the cylinder while porting -obviously washing away later. Finally remember to chamfer any marks made with a fine grit round hand file.

awesome. i already started reshaping. i'm going to ask my jewelery teacher at school if i can bring it in her classroom to work on it

I use a dremel with a flex shaft and "this":http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/dremel-hss-cylinder-1/D-GS09 type of bit. Intended for soft metals the HSS bits are the only ones I use for cutting aluminum. Carbide bits are expensive remove soft material way to slow and load up very easily, unless you are cutting into steel they are a waste.

Quick porting vid I made a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCScyBosr3Y

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account