How far can you tilt your carb?

King Drunky JCams /

Ok, that's one question I have...

I just got a 70cc Athena Reed kit for Puch from Treats.

I'm trying to use a SWEET 18mm Mikuni carb I just got.

The description of the kit says it's for Dellorto PHBG carbs...

It's going on a kickstart Korado motor mounted to a Pinto frame.

After lots of sanding on the intake and the plastic spacer thing in the carb, I finally got it fit on the intake.

I then had to dremel away extra metal on top of the engine case to make room for the fat carb.

I then got the cylinder, intake and carb onto the engine...

Here's the trouble, the frame is in the way of the carb. The carb is tilted about 30-35 degrees I would guess. Is that too much?

I'll take a pics and post them later... I just wanna know what you think.

Also, the cylinder head I'm using is a 49cc Korado top end. It is HUGE compared to the cylinder itself and looks funky. Will the 49cc Korado head adversely affect the performance of my new kit? Should I just go with a regular E50 head?

Thanks in advance everybody.

Justin

Re: How far can you tilt your carb?

King Drunky JCams /

I should clear this up a bit and say that the carb is twisted to the left on the intake, not a forward/aft tilt, but sideways...

Justin

King Drunky JCams /

Ok, as promised, pics.

Hope this works.

The first four are to show the tilt of the carb... what do you think? Will it run ok? I'm afraid to hurt my new kit...

The last pic is just for showing off... actually it's my old setup, and my new setup. Loving these kickstart motors!

Again, thanks in advance for your advice.

Justin

I think it will work, you might have isuues idleing. But I don't like it.

I am pretty sure that intake can be installed at a 90 degree angle as well If it were me I would have gotten a carb that mounts using a rubber coupling and pulled it out to the left side of the motor. I think the clamp style will put the carb right into the fins (could cut them but don't like that either)

anyways I'll say it'll work but It's not a clean build and may lead to unpredictable tuning issues.

I'm pretty sure the only problem with having the carb at an angle is a risk of the float not working perfectly, and possibly leaking. But at that angle it shouldn't be a problem, I ran a Dellorto like that.

i am thinking a 90 degree turn at the intake will be better

King Drunky JCams /

Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure the intake can be rotated 90 degrees as it is oblong, and not perfectly square. I'll take another look though.

I started it up, and it seemed to run well for the couple minutes I ran it.

I took the Techno Estoril off my Lazer and put it on the pinto until my Simonini comes in probably on Monday.

The biggest problem right now is that there is a metal pinging sound. I think the piston is barely touching the head and causeing the metal clanging sound.

I'm gonna install a second base gasket and hope for the best tomorrow.

I'll let you know.

Thanks again,

Justin

that isnt the best way to fix it but it will work.

for the best fix take it to a machine shop and svave a bit off the top end

mikuni's vent pretty high, so you shouldn't have any issues

yayyyy, kickstart.

Did you know they're called puch Macho's in Europe with a kick? made me lol, I've now retitled my project the Super Macho Maxi-Ped

God I love that setup J,

clean build dude, as always.

The carb should be fine, I ran a dellorto at a much worser tilt and it still rocked.

Nice carb. It's not ideal, but it shouldn't give you too much problems. Be sure to bend the float-stopper-thingy so it will open to the max, to eliminate any fuel flow problems.

The Korado head won't give you any problems besides looking funny.

not that i have any experience with the heavy-kitted carb-tilted issues, but ive seen pictures of carbs tilted more than that that were claimed to have work.

if i was in that situation, though, id probably just make a custom intake manifold to bring that carb somewhere more spacious. at the least you can use some conduit and jbweld, but for the sake of not ruining such a pretty setup, you could weld it or have it welded for you. get creative man. i would imagine rubber couplings help a bit with flexibility.

Time to build a custom intake...

1211167698_100_1665b.jpg

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

you could also grind away at that case to make it sit straighter. won't hurt anything.

King Drunky JCams /

Acutally, the engine case is not touching the carb. I ground way a bunch of material to make sure that wouldn't happen.

It's the damn frame in the way at the top of the carb...

It seems to run strong though and have no idleing or running issues other than what I believe is MAD piston slap making a ton of noise...

Check out my other post about it...

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/95995/95995/

I'm freakin' desperate to find out what the noise is....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account