Why the change?

So I switched my gears from 16 x 45 to 17 x 45 tonight. I have a 65cc metrakit with a 15mm bing and a proma gp pipe. Why did my ped do close to 40 with the 16 x 45 and now I can't break 35 with the 17 x 45 setup. I can't imagine it's a torque issue, as it feels almost the same off he line as the 16 x 45 did. I should be getting 2 or 3 mph more not less out of the new gearing. Any thoughts?

Re: Why the change?

Cleats Onionpockets /

Could be you're not jetted right yet. Get that thing tuned to unlock its full potential!

Why the change?

You should rejet everytime you regear.

it can be a torque issue. at different rpms motors produce different amounts of torque.

Can someone explain why you would have to re jet after changing gears??

Is your chain too tight now?

excellent point. I had a chain too tight once and my ped ran like shit. also made some noise from the chain/gears.

Chain tension: I didn't think so, I left what I though was the same amount of slack.

Re-jet after re-gearing: Why? The engine is pulling the same amount of air/fuel as before so the mixture shouldn't change. Right?

The bike just might not be making enough power to push bigger gearing.

really? a 65cc metra can't pull 17 x 45 gearing? I am 6'2" and weigh 230 (picture that on a moped), so it has a lot to push, but my old stock 50cc with the same setup could handle the 16 x 45 gearing just fine.

BTW way how is the 70 mph documentary going Tommy?

Hey, you don't have to get defensive just because people are making suggestions on a thread you started asking for suggestions. Frankly there is no good reason why your bike is going slower now, so you probably screwed something up when you were messing with it.

What does the bike feel like/sound like? Is it getting to high RPM? Is anything different about the way it handles and runs? Was that the only thing you did? Check your bike for any points of friction, the wheel nuts getting bound up, the wheel bearings, the chain, the sprocket shaft, brakes, etc. Check your jetting (yes, because it was suggested and you're looking for help). And if all else fails, you can feel free to put your other sprocket on and see if that really is the only thing different.

Maybe you were just barely getting enough Rpm with theold gearing to get on the pipe. I am not familiar with the 65 Metra but 40 seems a bit slow for any kit. Did that pipe come with some internal reatriction?

osprey of Dee'z loinz /

im 2bills, and run 65 metra, with 20/36 and pulls me fine.

I believe its 2 inches of slack from top to bottom, so kinda like an inch in either direction

40 is slow for any kit that isn't a vespa ciao haha

20/36 on a puch? that is crazy! What kind of top speed do you get?

I am sorry if my surprise came off as defensive. I have heard such great things about the 65cc metra, but I just am having trouble seeing it.

My ped was running very well at 16 x 45. Reving to 8500 rpms and crusing along at 38-39 mph at wot. The only thing I did was remove the chain, change the front sprocket to a 17 tooth, replace the chain, adjust the tensioners so that the chain had the same tension as before, and ride.

Hopefully me new jets will be here today (treats rox) and I'll try to up-jet to see if that helps, but I still don't understand why the jetting would need to change.

Charlie and I have 2speed puchs hence the 20 front sprocket.

My newport 2 with a metra 65 ported, 15 bing has 18x36 gearing and it goes 45. Its my loaner.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account