Metra Kit

Has anyone recently or in the past put in a Metra kit on a Maxi? I realize that is probably a dumb queston for a moped forum, but I'm looking for advice on torqing specs. Or is it just a crap-shoot?

Thanks!

Re: Metra Kit

Use the search function. There have been at least six threads on this topic in the last week.

Yup, torque your head nuts to 7ft/lbs. I always tighten the intake and exhaust nuts as tight as I can while holding the ratchet as close to the socket as possible. I have no idea what the specs are. Probably as tight as you can w/o stripping something out. Is that all you needed?

7ft/ibs is what I did. Great kits!

yep yep

i've had three bikes in the crew come to me with 'i dont know why i dont have any compression' to find out the nuts were stripped.

make sure to use either the original nuts or GRADE 8 replacements, an SAE washer and red loctite on the studs going into the block.

Grade 8 and and SAE relate only to standard/english fasteners. You will want to use the appropriate metric grade fasteners.

http://www.elginfasteners.com/metric.htm

it's really easy to strip those head bolts btw, even without a torque wrench. i did and now i'm sad - :-(

Thanks for the info... Of course after I posted I went to the wiki and downloaded the Service manual that says 7lbs of torque. I have spent quite a bit of money the past few weeks on items for this ped and am very afraid I am going to ruin something. I havent even had the guts to start yet!!!

Also, does anyone know of a branch near Milwaukee? Closest I saw was Chicago, or Michigan...

Thanks again guys!!!

Not an official branch but a bunch of cool dudes and dudettes ride at Fuel Cafe every Wednesday. Meeting times vary between 6-8pm. see you there sometime!

Got to get it together first, I figured since it has been sitting out in the wonderful Wisconsin weather for 10 years that I should probably go all out! Treats has helped me tremedously, I got a 65cc Metra kit, 21mm Dellorto, and a Simonini exhaust, just gotta get it all together, so hopefully I will see you all soon!!!

have fun putting that simonini on there. yeeesh.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account