so i cannot decide between 16sha and 18phbg

this is with a 65 metra and currently a tecno boss pipe (also have a leo vinci pipe to play with)

What should I go with and why?

I know the PHBG gives me all the extra tuning capabilities, but besides that which one would you choose and why?

Re: so i cannot decide between 16sha and 18phbg

that should say 19....

It might be a bit tougher to tune, but once you get it right, your performance throughout the powerband would kick ass.

phbg

Quote: I know the PHBG gives me all the extra tuning capabilities, but besides that which one would you choose and why?

Why would you need any other reason. The SHA sucks. Its basically the cheapest design they could come up with. It has one tuning option. And thats only for WOT. So at every other throttle setting you have to just deal with the choking and sputtering. Personally, I like the carburetion to be crisp at any throttle setting. I'm not one who likes to settle for just good enough. I want it to be right.

Is that reason enough. It is for me.

I second that opinion. I just got my 16.16SHA running and BOY am I dissapointed at how it performs at low end. Sputtering and 4 stroking until I reach speed and WHAM, it takes off. Why not have full power bottom to top? Im upgrading to the 20 or 21 PHBG sooner than later.

see, thats all i was looking for, decision made.

and with the 19phbg i can just cut the intake from a header correct?

oh oh oh...ha i keep coming up with new things, looking on dellorto direct they have four different 19 phbg spigot styles, AS, BS, DS etc. whats the difference??

The difference is placement of the fuel inlet and other things i don't remember either in the manual or online somewhere it is spelled out clearly.

If you're making an intake from a header, you're probably going to want to get a DS (spigot, rubber mount), because a clamp (AS) might not seal perfectly on something custom like that. Treats has the cool PHBG rubber coupler at the moment if you want to avoid a hardware store setup.

yeah thats exactly what i was planning on getting, just didnt know which of the ds, cs, bs, as ones to get...good looking out man.

I thought the only different throttle ranges on a PHBG were starting, idling, and WOT. In other words, the PHBG should start and idle better, but once you get going its basically the same situation, right?

No thats not correct. Any carb with a needle can be tuned for any throttle opening by moving the needle up or down. Or if need be, using a different needle.

SHA's seem to run on gummie bears and magic, or something, because they just have a main jet, and has to be dead on, but once it is, you just work, almost effortlessly... but it is medocre, spotty.

Needle carbs are more tuneable. A properly set up bing, imo out performs SHA any day, but setting them up right is a big IF.

Phbg, lots of tuning options. you will probably sieze your cylinder at one point in learnign how to tune it, but youll learn lots more about your bike, its is rewarding using superior head powers to go fast.

hey i was wondering this too... about to pimp the ped

phbg

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account