Wont Hold Idle

Well, After crusing home from cupertino tonight (about 11miles er so) I noticed that when I pull up to a redlight, my new dellorto 16.16 and metrakit do not like to idle. I have to give it a little throttle before sitting at a stop to keep it going for a wile. If I let it sit too long, it just dies. Has done this both on the stand and after a nice ride. It runs fine, just doesnt want to hold idle.

Re: Wont Hold Idle

my tccd + 16 SHA doesn't like to idle either..

opened the slide a little by unscrewing a couple turns out where the cable enters.

Yeah, with an SHA the only thing you're going to be able to do is turn it your idle screw.

Ha, everyone seems to have this issue with the SHA. Sounds like I will be upgrading to the 21 PHBG sometime in the near future.

fish_SHARK /

another thing you might try, is to slide the carb slightly off of the intake.

start the bike and have it idling on the stand, slowly shimmy they carb backwards off of the intake ever so slightly, until it holds the idle, tighten and done.

is it an adjustable needle? i would try adjusting the needle and if not i would try to lean out the fuel air ratio screw. are there seperate adjustments for idle and main jet?

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

get a shorter/softer spring for the idle screw. I found the one on the 16sha is a bit too long, and doesn't let you screw in the idle enough to hold it.

Wont Hold Idle

There's a screw that I think adjusts the idle mixture. It's recessed slightly and is toward the intake side of the carb. Warm up the bike, adjust the idle speed to what you want, then try turning that screw first one way and then the other. You should see that the idle becomes worse at the two extremes, which span about 1 turn between too lean and too rich. Put the screw in the middle of the two extremes.

My bike seems to idle fast until it's warmed up, so do your idle adjustment after you've run the bike a mile or so. If I adjust it to idle well and the engine is not hot, it will do just as you are experiencing after I've run it a couple of miles.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account