puch restrictor plate

General Jackson /

I don't know what the restrictor plate looks like because I don't think any of my peds have them. So I was curious as to what to look for so i can make them go faster. it's a smaller plate between the muffler and the engine right?

any help is totally sweet

Re: puch restrictor plate

General Jackson /

p.s. one is a 1979 puch maxi and the other is a 1981 murray which is a puch with different stickers, the mechanics of them are identical

the only restrictor plates i've heard of are the plastic ones in the whyite harmonica intake snorkle tube thingy that goes from the air box into the hole in the frame.

Also one in teh cylinder of the 1 hp maxis

General Jackson /

thanks. mine are both 2 hp and go 35 already. just makin sure they weren't there

where are they in the cylinder?

the 1 horsepower puchs

(12 mm carb, 12 mm round intake) have a brass bushing pushed into the intake port to restrict them.

aren't there super thick head gaskets too?

General Jackson /

interesting, i'll have to check that out. would I need to adjust my spark plug gap or get a bigger air intake if I take it out?

Yes, the 1 and 1.5 have headgaskets, the 2.0hp does not.

http://1977mopeds.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/puchbulletinweb.pdf

1hp - 12mm carb, 12mm intake, restricted intake port, thick head gasket

1.5hp - 12mm carb, 12mm intake, 1.5mm head gasket

2.0hp - 12mm carb, 14mm intake, no head gasket.

how do you get that damn brass ring out? i want to port those bitches.

also fwiw, my 78 freespirit had a rubber shim inside the intake manifold that restricted it from 12mm to 9mm, not sure if those were used on other puchs tho

fish_SHARK /

the 2hp option was 14carb 14intake w/ no headgasket

a big screw driver and a hammer. Come at it through the exhaust port and pop it back through the intake. Took me 3 wacks. Be careful not to scratch the cylinder walls all to hell.

hey nerdo, is one of your puchs 2hp, and did it come with the 14 carb? my 79 maxi luxe II is a 2hp and it came with a 12, and according to the puch '1.5hp to 2.0hp upgrade' dealer service bulletin you keep the 12 carb and just upjet. also according to the bing carb list article 12s with various jettings came on 2hp.

The carb list is wrong. # 1/12/160 is really 1/14/160 But you have a Maxi-luxe which came with the Hi-Torque cylinder. Thats why you have a 12mm carb.

cool so some 2hp models did come with a 14 then. I figured the list is not perfect, mine came with the 1/12/314. I actually just bored it out to 14 this weekend, trimmed the choke slide, and it's working great!

my e-50 has a 14mm intake, 14mm bing, head gasket and has the restricted pipe ( which was derestricted ).. what HP rating is that..

p.s. it a 1974 Maxi S

2 things...

the intake restrictor is made of HARD ASS STEEL not brass. I've removed a few and its very difficult. also, the intake port is not all that much bigger on 1hp bikes after its removed, best to just upgrade your cylinder.

early 2hp puch's (like 1977 and earlier) used 14mm carbs. the later bikes all used 12mm. Alot of the pinto/swinger/kromag/freespirt/murrys had 14mm too but im not sure on which ones and what years.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account