grind down fins in SF?

My poor TFR got raped by a crackhead looking for a spark plug.. He or she destroyed the cylinder head (see pic). So on the bright side I'm using this as an excuse to put on a polini 65cc cylinder kit. Problem is the stock tfr frame isn't designed for a cylinder head with side fins so I need to grind those down.

Anyone know of a machine shop near downtown SF that could do this?

Thanks!

Sammy

1210453648_picture_018.jpg

Re: grind down fins in SF?

i think you can do it with a dremel

i have no idea what that picture is of.

you will need to baby the kit to keep it cool if you cut a lot of material off i think.

lol sorry, for some reason the uploader rotated the pic 90 degrees clockwise. that was a pic of the bent front foot pegs. Usually a crackhead would saw the spark off but this guy/gal used a crowbar or something as a lever and bent everything up.

This is a pic of the front.

Looks like most shops are closed on weekends, really want to get this done this weekend but I'm a little worried about trying to do this with a dremel myself..

Sammy

1210457080_picture_009.jpg

all i can see is a broken off spark plug, just take the plug out.

fish_SHARK /

i would just put a new plug in, rather than using a kit that you have to chop all the side fins off. it just sounds like it could overheat

how sure are you a polini will even fit on that? i dont know anything about those bikes, but if the case is like that....

I'm still confused on how you can smoke out of a broken spark plug. I tried to do this and the electrode is glued all the way though the ceramic on the plug I tried.

don't worry about grinding the fins down, alot of ppl do it with there on high comp head who are running polini 4 pedal setups, and it cools fine.

that makes two of us.

This post might shed some light on the subject.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/27499971.html

thanks will try it on Monday when the machine shops open up looks like i'm on the muni to work this week.

replaced the spark plug, it started but there was this new knocking sound like the piston was rubbing up against the cylinder or something. It still runs but the noise is getting louder no matter how much oil i put and I seem to be losing power everyday I ride. Seems like its about to seize up on me. I've been meaning to Kit it anyway so now is as good a time as any I think.

Thanks for the tip though.

no guarantees but I got the part off of stores.zippymopedparts.com and they are under the kinetic tfr section.

i mean the part about being confused as to how to smoke out of a spark plug macgyver style, I can't say I've tried it myself!

FYI - zippy rules...

Hi Sammy

I swa your post on the moped army. Would you like exchange your cylinder kit for a kit with a Ciao syle head (no side fins) If you haven't installed yoru kit yet you can return it for exchange.

Ciao

Bill

http://zippymopedparts.com/

Well, I did it. Kitted my first moped with a polini 65cc, delorto carb and new air filter.

The Good: lots of fun,

learned a lot about simple engines,

good step by step guide found here: http://www.kinetictfr.com/blog/

bought and made some cool tools.

The Bad:

Spent lots of dough and time trying to fix a noise that i thought was the piston grinding against the cylinder. But with the new piston and new cylinder, the sound and mystery remain.

Seems like nobody in this town(SF) will accept American dollars to work on mopeds for you.

Parts hard to find, the only place i can seem to get some are through zippy.

Now have to break in an engine I broke in a few months ago...

The Ugly:

my hands and carpet seem to be permanently stained with 2 stroke oil.

Maybe a tfr kinetic wasn't the best moped to buy?

Sammy

you mean maybe a cheapshit chinese moped was a bad investment?

they are from india.

mass made indian stuff can be just as crappy as the chinese stuff, not to say that good stuff doesnt come from both countries.

yeah well, at least its filled with Italian parts now.

Fucking bums man, it happens to me all the time too. I got a box of old plugs they can have but no theyed rather destroy my heads.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account