Re: 65 Metra Kit

I just got to thinking, I smeared 2 stroke oil all over the cylinder and piston to install them. Could all this crap fouling the plug be the oil I rubbed on burning off? Other than that the 70 jet is 12 sizes smaller than the 82, Im sure it would probably no longer foul plugs but is that TOO lean for the metrakit?

Yes, way too lean

I'ts not quite the same but I'm beaking in a70cc Athena with a 15mm bing and my first tank of gas was with a 92 jet, (silly rich) but I have the range down to 76

you need to do a lot of tuning before you can get it to run. DO NOT DROP 12 JET SIZES EVER. worst idea.

you need to run a lot longer, warm up, and ride before your plug is going to tell you anything.

blue smoke, meh. mopeds are smokey :)

your idle or idle circuit could just be off and fucking up your idle. just because teh idle seems to be ok does not mean you have no airleak, i didnt see if that was confirmed with carb cleaner or not...

(of course i am running a 67 jet and it is still rich, but that is in SF on a 2 speed and with totally different diffusers, idle jets, needles and so on than stock.)

screw out your idle screw, lean out the idle circuit. have a choke? use that. then try to get an idle. then search the forum for a tuning guide and tune your idle circuit perfect. and then your idle jet, and then your needle, and then your whatever and then the main jet. elliot posted it recently.

Ok, I got the dropping 12 sizes is bad. I adjusted the idle and it still runs the plugs wet. Im talking covered in oil, Im going to try and adjust again right now. I will take a pic of the plug and post.

you might be very very rich, it is possible, but you need to drop less than 12. maybe start like 3 or 4 smaller and go down from there incrimentally, like i said somewhere, i am running a 67 probably looking for a 66(6)

how much oil are you mixing in there

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

start with that 82, it should be close. There is going to be a bunch of smoke at first with the oil on the cylinder and piston. Get it warmed up and let it cool down. Then warm it up and ride it easy.

I started with a 50:1 ratio. Zack, I just pulled the kit off. Im going to put the 50cc stocker back on so I can at least to matts house so you guys can take a looker somethin.

1. Maybe they are lying.

2. Tire diameter will also effect top speed.

3. They are turning more than 8200 RPMs.

4. Your tiny tach isn't accurate.

It's cool that you have the tiny tach and GPS. Most people exagerate their top end ability or just give an estimate.

We GPS'd my metra setup at 38mph with 14:45 gearing. What intake are you running? Biturbo is a high rpm pipe so I wouldn't think that's the problem. Bigger intake and carb might give you the rpm's you're looking for. Or just go to 17:45 or 18:45 with a better pipe to make up for the lost low end.

That's all I have.

wait, i can't open your spreadsheet, but i assume it works like this:

engine rpm

James:

Here is a word doc with a pic of the spreadsheet in it. The puch manual lists the engine gear ration as 5.05:1 and chain ratio refers to front sprocket x rear sprocket. I measured my tire diameter to be exactly 22 inches (pretty damn close anyway) and used 3.14 for the circumference to figure out how far I went with one engine rotaion then multiplied it by the rpms to get final speed.

Brent:

To get a speed of 38mph with 14 x 45 setup you'd need 9500 rpm. what carb are you using to get this? How fast can you get a non-ported metra to turn?

I'm running an SHA 16.16 and a 16mm Malosi intake. I have no idea what type of RPMs to expect. I do know that with this setup my Estoril will not let the engine rev out as much as the Proma Country did, so I'd say it's not the case limiting the kit.

Nice spreadsheet by the way, very cool.

Does the 1mm carb increase translate to 1500 rpms? The bi-turbo is a high reving pipe, so that shouldn't be my problem.

BTW what is the fastest anyone has gotten an e50 to turn?

Hippy says his stock non roller bearing puch seized at 11000 rpm.

Just got back after a long a long day of messin around with the new kit. Finaly got it running, and boy did it run. I put about 40miles or so on the kit giving it high revs, and low revs and all the in between. It KICKS at 15mph and up, and now im running some 32:1 oil ratio for the breakin. Tomorrow I will be doing this again, giving high revs and lows to help seat the rings. I did loose a bit of low end, even with the high compression head I think I will need to regear to gain some ground.

you will lose a little bit of compression as the rings set and you break it in.

sounds good

Loose compression? Thats bad, well whatever. Its running and it gives good power that im happy with. Thanks for all the help dudes, it has been an experience.

like the tinyiest amount ever. things get set instead of grinding away at each other

wait i thought compression goes up during break in as the ring and cylinder wall mate

i dont know anything anymore.

I Just read that adding or increasing the fuel:oil ratio durring a break in is BAD. And to only take it for 10 to 15 min runs at a time. How much of this is true? I added a bit more oil (went from 50:1 to about 40:1 or so) and I drove from cupertino to San Jose (about 11miles) varying throttle speed. I stopped once to cool down for about 10min and drove about 20min today. Here is the link to read this:

http://mopedgarage.co.uk/moped-guides/breaking-in-moped/

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account