14mm Bing Metra Setup

So I received my 65cc Metra today and installed it. I slightly cased matched it and am now in the tuning stages. I need your help. I have a 1978 JC Penny Swinger E50 engine, bi-turbo pipe, 14 bing and high flow air filter. When it was stock I ran a 66 jet in there and it was awesome. I mix 32/1. I have bing jets from 60-80.

With the kit I started with an 80 and tried all the needle settings with no luck. It was not starting on the stand, only when I pushed it and would hold full throttle, the plug was black, and could not hold any idle. I then put in a 78 and tried all the settings, still wouldn't start easily and it bogged until 15mph. That plug was running lean. I am assuming I have an air leak and will be checking tomorrow. So what I'm getting at is if you have a 14mm bing with a metra kit on it, what is your jet and needle setting?

Thanks,

Marsh

Re: 14mm Bing Metra Setup

I have a 15mm bing with a non-ported e50. A biturbo and high flow filter and run an 86. I know my carb is 1mm bigger, but my setup is really close. I had to push my needle all the way down (ring on top setting) to get it to idle. Also the needle jet (jet holders) in bings come in different sizes. I had a 220 which was so big, it wouldn't run. I now have the 217 which is still too big but the needle setting helps. Check that jet holder and see what number is stamped on it.

Set the carb back to stock. Don't worry about the main jet in it for now. Stock for that carb is second notch from top for the needle with a 2.22 needle jet. If it idles to rich at that setting then drop down to a 2.20 needle jet.

Re: Update:14mm Bing Metra Setup

Update:

Today I ran a 74 jet with the needle set 2nd from the top. The size of my tube is 2,12. It idles great, is boggy at 1/4, has awesome mid, and good top. It runs lean at WOT though. I'm thinking about lowering the needle tomorrow to see if that helps my low-end. When I don't blast it the plug looks brown/tan, so i might stick with this for a bit.

I have tried a 76, 78, and 80 all with trouble starting it. Again, might be the air leak...

I also ran a 70 earlier in the day and it was fucking ripping the whole time, but the plug looked whiter than death. So I backed off that shit.

Also my bing has a slight air leak where it connects to the intake. I think this might affect it a bit.

comments or suggestions...

Thanks,

Marsh

just wondering, how do people do case matching without splitting the case??? Aren't you worried about getting metal shavings in your engine?

I was really worried about it when I did it yesterday. I was told just to stuff newspaper down around the crank then wrap plastic all around it. I did that and was super careful. I rinsed it with carb cleaner and then blew it out with compressed air. Then took out the plastic and newspaper and cleaned it again. I was afraid I fucked it up, but I haven't yet. I have since put 15 miles on it today and it was fine other then the jetting issues. I figured if metal shavings would have gotten in there I would have noticed something bad by now. Everyone says E50's are tough and I believe them. I'm not recommending this method at all and would have prefered to crack open the case, but I was too anxious.

If your gonna do case matching without cracking the case I would suggest that you go to toys R us and buy a can of Playdoh and pack it over the crank and make sure you have a good seal against the case. After you case match it you can then spray carb cleaner on the playdoh and the metal chips will come right off with no negative effects to the doh. From there you can just pull out the playdoh and throw it away. Works like a charm. You should really crack the case tho.

what's your plug btw? you could try using a hotter one.

but i don't understand, you tried the 80 and it was sooty . . . so did you try the 78?

i had a 75 in mine and it was leanish. for break in you should probably have one at least that big . . . but who knows. it is getting warmer out.

how many base gaskets did you all use?

I used the paper one and the metal one. the metal one is huge 1,5mm.

I am using a ngk b7hs plug. Yeah i tried an 80, but it wouldn't start on the stand and it only went 20mph. Then I tried the 78 and that was lean at WOT. I'm guessing an air leak was the culprit. Thanks for your jet numbers. I now know that I'm in the right area. I guess I will just have to do more plug chops. Also what mix do you recommend. i have 32/1 right now.

Marsh

marshall is a sucker for working against himself.

Thanks for the encouragement captain. You up for a ride tomorrow morning. I think I will be good to go at 10.

Lean at WOT throttle means too small a main jet and has nothing to do with needle settings. Go with the 80 and lean out the low end by raising the ring/dropping the needle to the last (top) notch.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account