Puch Maxi carb questions

i just got a 1978 puch maxi and it tops out around 20mph right now. the guy i got it from said he put a #60 main jet on the carb because he didn't have a better size. he said i should find a #50 to #54 to help the top end speed out. is this a good solution?

i'm also considering getting a 15mm carburetor because the stock one is 14mm, correct?

Re: Puch Maxi carb questions

Is this a good solution? Depends. What's your spark plug look like? If it's black and oily like the Exxon Valdez took a spill inside your engine, then yes, downjetting will probably help your performance.

As for the carb, there are plenty of other options to increase your speed besides just getting a bigger carb. You can change your sprockets (gearing) to increase speed, you can increase air flow with a high flow air filter (but be sure to make sure you've got enough extra fuel to go with your extra air), you can get a performance exhaust... there are a lot of options.

You can check Bing carb numbers here to help verify your carb size, and you can read about your speed-enhancing options here. break> Old posts are also a cornucopia of information; just use the search function and you should find enough information to keep you busy for the next month.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account