Review: Tomos EBR Disk brake setup (on moby)

There they are the Tomos EBR fork setup with disk brakes!!

The 1977 mopeds description reads: EBR 68.5mm oil dampened front forks, Grimeca Style Hydraulic caliper, control lever, and 17in Grimeca chrome spoked wheel with brake rotor. All hardware included.

That is right on the money! and for the price of $399 it damn well better be.

Don't let the EBR name fool you these are not those cheap chrome EBR forks that evey puch polini had on them a year ago. These are the real deal, beefy, clean, and hella stable. From what I understand these are EBR brand forks specifically designed for tomos mopeds as OEM equipment, and we all know how nice new tomos peds are.

As you can see I installed these onto a motobecane 50v (parma 70, phbg, leo pipe, variplus, highcomp head). They slipped on like butter. The only issue I had was that the bearing cups that come with the forks where too big a diameter to fit into the head tube of the moby. I was forced to use the stock motobecane ones instead. I also had to use the stock moby head tube ball bearings. However all other hardware that came with the system worked, even the tomos bearing races seamed to match up pretty close with the moby ones and moby bearings.

The disk setup comes 90% assembled and with fluid already to go. It slipped right into place a few pumps of the lever and it was rdy to go. The only issue I had was that the caliper had to be spaced out the witch of a washer (provided) to align perfectly with the disk.

The head tube on these was actually the exact right length for a moby, however on a maxi it would be a bit too long and need cutting down or a top nut that is not capped. A 103 peugeot being even longer than the moby would need some of the head tube on the frame cut down. I guess I lucked out with the moby. Another thing to note is that these forks raise the front of the ped by an inch or so you can see from the 1st pick. and the kick stand that was already failing now doesn't work at all, its too short.

As for stopping power, wow! you can lock up the front wheel if you want. This particular bike has super high bars and It was hard to get them tight enough so that they would not slip forward when the front brake was applied. With low or clubman style bars, you can stop on a dime. but watch out.. this kinda braking power on a vintage frame suck as the motobecane could cause alot of stress on the head tube, so I'd recommend unless you have reinforced your frame to keep stopping to a minimum.

Overall a really nice package especially since it include the front wheel. if you can afford it that is. In fact if your willing to ditch the disk brake the forks alone can be had for only $155. Thats a good deal for these forks.

Re: Review: Tomos EBR Disk brake setup (on moby)

Thanks very much man! As Ive said many times, Im getting the non disc setup for mine. So you say it only raised the front an inch? Not 2 or more?

Again, thanks so much, very nice review. I cant wait to get my bike together!

i wish they were standard size.is the wheel 16in or 17in?

17" wheel. This is exactly what I want for my older Tomos, except I want to mount that disk on the black mag wheels I already have.

man, i wish i could mount that disk on my snowflakes, and i wish they were the right length for my maxi - they look sweet as hell!

One question. Could the triple trees be adjusted down the fork legs to bring the ride hight back to normal? It looks like the trips clamp on top and bottom, just wondering if there was a hidden stop or knob, hole whatever that keeps them at the top? If they could be dropped on the fork legs that means clamp ons for me....

thanks

crackstar

One more thing, whats the bolt circle pattern for the brake rotor i.e. 6 on 45mm or whatever just wondering,

so it comes with a 17" wheel. the triple tree appeared to me that it could travel up and down the fork arms, in fact one side slipped down a bit on me when i was installing it, so I think its defiantly possible.

As I said b4 these are a great buy at $155. They are alot beefier than any stock moped shit, but still look appropriately sized for mopeds and should fit on to most bike with very little modification.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the disk brake, its stopping power is to far over the limits of the moped frame for my tastes. excellently tuned up drums are good enough (and stop quite good) as long as u have some forks like these to support them.

fit a magnum?

At 1977 it says out of stock. But if theyre shipped directly from Tomos, how can they be out of stock?

try it ......... call them

John Joedicke /

Call any Tomos dealer. They can get them without a problem.

Im afraid my Tomos dealer wants to charge me a lot more... Ill find out today.

I have the Non-disk forks on my pacer-thing....

They are great especially if you are a bigger guy!

Much more stable and better damping!

i wish they made a non magnum length

i think u could move the whole triple tree assembly down to fit a smaller frame.

You can definitely move the fork tubes around in the tripple tree to account for the different length. I'm glad someone else did the footwork on this so I didn't have to. This is definitely on my list, provided you can get a fender on that thing.

Wait, does this mean that you can put motobecane sized forks on italian bikes with no modification?

may??.be?? o and u can order the stock tomos front fender for these bitches. bolt on action! booya!

Did you use the top nut that came with the fork? I didnt order one when I ordered my forks. Should I have, or maybe I can just re-use my old one from the Moby fork?

BTW I ordered mine from a local dealer, had to order all the parts individually.

chris how much is it from the local dealer?

the stock moby one will not fit its a bit too small.

I hope u got all the pieces! yeah curious how much it was like that.

It was going to be a lot more than $155 but I printed out the 1977 page and he matched the price.

shit i gotta get a top nut now. Yeah I got all the pieces other than the top nut. Got some NOS Moby bearing cups and some Moby ball bearings, 52 of them.

Then I gotta worry about a wheel, controls, and some black handle bars.

"this kinda braking power on a vintage frame suck as the motobecane could cause alot of stress on the head tube, so I’d recommend unless you have reinforced your frame to keep stopping to a minimum."

wow i really should proof read this stuff better, i always come off sounding like a caveman.

should read:

>this kinda braking power on a vintage frame such as the motobecane could cause alot of stress on the head tube, so I&#8217;d recommend unless you have reinforced your frame to keep stoppies aka endos to a minimum.<

Whats re-enforced your frame mean? A brace bar? I definitely want to do endoes, and tail slides, but, I'll hold off on that.

A bit OT but anyone have a good suggestion for a good wheel to mount to the non disc fork? Like, something with a nice drum brake.

Tomos wheels fit right on!

but are ugly....

Bruce Edwards /

I just got this entire front end for a steal. I just need to lace in 17" rim.

1209480588_6752_1.jpg

What about the fork travel? Won't the wheel hit the triple tree? What are you going to do about a fender?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account