11 mpg! I swear to god, 11 mpg + video!

So, in my earlier post I addressed that my bike was running crappy when idleing. I'll adjust it tonight, but something else has been bothering me lately.

My Ped gets 11 miles to the gallon.

Today I filled up at 48th and lincoln and rode (for those who know SF) all the way to scott, over to church and through the mission, down 16th to the dogpatch and ended up on 3rd and 20th by the ball park. After working I rode on third to cesar chavez cruised up to treat st, and died on 25th and Treat. out of gas.... I used my reserve tank and got to a station. filled up and rode back to the beach, I now have less than 1/4 tank.

I'm not leaking gas, I checked. I have a new gas cap, tight and secure.

I seriously get 11mpg. It's been like this for a while, but I never actually filled up and rode continously until I was out of gas until today.

There has to be other people who get awful gas milage, but I might have well drive a 64 belvedere with a hemi.

My 103 is highly modded.

Polini 70 kit

Malossi CDI

Malossi 4 pedal Intake

PHBG 20mm Carb

Doppler Pipe

I’m prob forgetting other stuff

Also, I weigh 200 lbs.

So now that you read all this you get a video!

any ideas?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="

&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Re: 11 mpg! I swear to god, 11 mpg + video!

1. starting and stopping your bike in city traffic eats a lot of gas.

2. Driving half-closed throttle will drastically improve your gas mileage.

3. i lived 15 mins and about 3-4 miles from my work and had to fill up about every three days with my fast motobecane. That math on that is pretty grim.

Say a kitted mopeds mileage is like 30 city 60 highway. 11mpg is straight retarded. I think you might be too rich? Or leaking?

What jet? I think your carb is big for such a setup. Which also explains the crappy idle.

20mm is not too big for a 70cc kit. but yeah u might have a really fat jet becuase you are compensating for a nasty air leak. that would suck gas down for sure.

I'm running a 90 jet, I do tend to run it full open a lot. I'm almost completely positive that I'm not leaking. I've never seen one drop of gas on the garage floor.

would an air leak come from the case seal?

I checked my head and my intake, they're tight. My pipe is a little loose...

Actually, most people find that increasing their carb size improves their gas mileage. I don't know where you small-carb proponents get your ideas, but it can't be from real-world experience.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

i think your carb has to be drastically larger.

aka a 15 sha - a 20 phbg, probably worse mileage

15sha or even 20 phbg to 24 mikuni, probably better?

im just theorizing tho

I think that big carb and big reed valve block could be making it tougher to tune for idle. Also exhaust leak can mess with idle.

Where all his fuel is going I dont know. Something weird here. I don't think i can get a gallon through my petcock in the time it takes to go 11 miles. Ok, but barely.

If anyone wants to play moped jockey I'd love a second set of eyes. I bet a 150lb kid on this peugeot could fly.

More importantly.,check out the drummer's shirt in the video.

Now thats disturbing.

What are you feeding your bike when it's parked? mine only goes thru fuel like that if i havent fed it for days and days.

pisses behind the couch too

***Kim Jong illest*** /

are you sure yu didnt fill up at la playa and lincoln. i was out side polishing my bke and think i saw you cruise by.

yo motobrokane, I been wondering where you been hiding. We live so close but have never actually met. Yeah, la playa and lincoln. We should meet up this week and ride.

I second what Bret said if anyone has used a 19 and 21 phbg on the same setup knows this is true.

Sweet!! Another RATT video.

Sad thing is - the song can stand on its own and not be bad but the video is absolutely horrible. Good thing I lived in the country where we didn't have MTV. We only had the sweet cassette tape.

RATT eh...

More thrash metal,less hair metal.

I call it trash metal....

So check this....

My exhaust is cold and shitting black oil out the end

I'm running about ten times too rich........I think....Would this theory make sense?

I have the malossi CDI which makes my spark like HE-MAN!

So technically my bike shouldn't even start this rich, but because of my super human spark, it runs at 55+.

So I need to adjust my needle and downjet from a 90 to a 80 or so.....

***Kim Jong illest*** /

hey man if i can figure my shit out and get my jekyl/hyde puch to run sure, lets rip it up! or shit, come on over and smoke a bowl, play some vids.

"smoke a bowl"

Already did and I was fucking ruined.I was freaking out about my hands feeling fake or something.

Now I want to sleep...

I can only think of a few things that would eat THAT much gas...

#1. A fuel leak

#2. Running so rich that the bike would probably not even run

#3. A leaking or horribly mismatched exhaust, which causes a ton of fuel to be blown right out the exhaust pipe.

#4. A bad reedvalve could cause a ton of fuel to be blown out of the carb into the airfilter, because it would leak pressure back into the carb.

Have you done a compression check?

Also, fuel/air mixture could be leaking out of the crank case somewhere . (that's basically a fuel leak that doesn't act like a fuel leak)

It's possible that you are getting bad gas consistantly from the same gas station.

Are your brakes dragging maybe?

There is no reasonable (normal) explaination for 11mpg! My bike would do almost 60mph, and I drove it in the city every day. I usually got around 70mpg. Something HAS to be wrong.

is it possible your petcock is reversed and you are running on reserve?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account