HELP! I know not le tomos

so I've never really worked deep into a tomos, just carb cleans 'n stuff. so here's some silly questions:

it seems like in the tranny there is alot of wiggling...

Is there supposed to be a wiggle in the large tranny gear?

Is the spacer on the pedal shaft supposed to move back and forth(~1-2cm) and are there supposed to be 2 circlips on the spacer? one was broken so I took it off, was it necessary they were set right next to each other?

once re assembled is the pedal shaft supposed to wiggle back and forth?

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src=" http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-4853212338123642266&hl=en" ; flashvars=""> </embed>

What's this weird restrictor thing in the intake?

Tomos A35/5 with points ignition 14.12 Dell

Timing is right on

Brand new Gas

Clean Carb

Brand New Plug

New tranny fluid

Pipe cleaned

reeds are fine

120psi compression

awesome spark

tried every combo from 88 jet and super restricted air box to a 53 with no air box, only the occasional put put, even with carb cleaner sprayed in the carb/sparkplug hole.

still doesn't run... hmm maybe the piston is on upside down. that's the only thing I haven't checked. since I need to get an 11 deep socket to take off the head... anything I forgot????!

Re: HELP! I know not le tomos

is there consistent spark at the right time?

Not sure about that specific intake, but any restriction in the intake is exactly that, restriction. Probably put there to limit the speed to below 30mph or something. Get it out of there and fly!

As far as jets go, 88 sounds too big? Not sure what the stock jet is on that engine. Might want to get the stock jet size, and put the stock airbox on and try that. Make sure petcock flows well, fuel filter (if exists) flows well, carb float works, not getting vapor lock in the tank, yada yada yada.

oh yeah, I checked that too... I spun the pedals around fast as I could and it kept spark at high(ish) RPMs

and yeah I know 88 is way to high, I just wanted to try everything that's why I tried everything in between that and the lowest jet I had(53) and even leaned that out.

and yeah I checked the gas flow. even the rag in the spark hole trick to see if there was gas getting to the plug... ugh, I bet it's something dumb like the piston upside down.. the dude I bought it from said that he changed the rings, so it's definitely a possibility.

yeah, I know it was a restrictor, haha, it's just so crazy and incredibly restrictive, I was just wondering if anyone has seen one of those before or is it somethin that someone else put on there on accident, because it was just a piece of metal kinda sitting there, not hard fastened or anything.

is the spacer supposed to wiggle like this?

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src=" http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-8895135399029999225&hl=en" ; flashvars=""> </embed>

the first part is me showing the broken circlip

then the wiggle I was worried about

then be moving and pointing at washers for no real reason

Everything looks good i think except whatever is stuck in you intake! The side cover supports the rest so it doesnt wiggle.

Just watched the video, it shouldnt side to side play like that, are there any cracks on that inner gear where it meets the inner shaft?

It'll never run right until you get whatever the heck that thingy stuck in the intake out.

yeah I took that out for sure, but I also tryed jetting it with it just in case since it didn't really fire up with out it...

With or without the restricter it dosen't run... blaa, tomos.

woo, I just found an 11 deep socket gonna get that shit checked today

tranny leak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! into the crank case ugh two mopeds in one week!!, and neither of them are mine...

well, the tomos is mine now

I'm gonna move the tranny leak questions over to the repair section...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account