New Polini bottom end for Peugeot 103

Yeah.. Looking at getting a new bottom end.. because.. well.. it's shiny and expensive?

Wondering if anyone's messed with these yet. Looks to be a complete kit, case, bearings, 4petal reed valve, intakes... There's also one with a little mystery pedal.

Everything but a new crank, which I might get on the side.

It'd be used to put on one of the polini top ends.

Thanks in advance,

Zack

Re: New Polini bottom end for Peugeot 103

lee's anus is leefungchowOG /

i seen um. i didn't want to buy one because i could do the same thing to a stock case. new bearings, 4 petal reed, blah blah. the pedal is to force the engine into low gear. SWEET. i love polini. i use it on all my bikes. peugeot, puch, vespa. fuck yeah.

Yeah I have been running one. It's a really good case, made very well (as opposed to other polini products). Comes with an intake for a dellorto 15mm and for a 19/21mm. There are a lot of good cranks available -- if you get a polini bottom end then you should also get a good crank to go with it.

The polini bottom end will be better than modifying a stock case. Modifying a stock case is a lot of work because in grinding out a third port you hit some air pockets that need to be filled in with metal, plus the stock intake on the case sucks, the polini setup is bigger and has better flow.

Malossi also makes a case, I am getting one any day now and will be using that instead. I will most likely keep my polini case though.

The pedal thing you're talking about is not necessary, I've never used it so I can't say for sure, but apparently it causes a lot of friction and is basically something you would use in lieu of a polini or doppler tension spring. Basically, the stock tension spring isn't tough enough so the engine variates too quickly, and you can solve this problem by putting a tougher engine spring on (preferred option) or getting one of those pedals and manually forcing the engine forward.

To clear up the pedal thing:

its best function is used to pull the motor back and allow it to rev up then by letting tension off the pedal thing engage the motor to the belt like a clutch.

Poor mans clutch pully.

if u force it the otherway ie more tension on the belt it usually just results in too much belt tension and friction and the slowing down of ur bike.

I've tested the theory of forcing the motor forward and back manually on my moby and this was the result. I never actually tried that product.

What about the Parmakit

I thought the pedal thing is called a "launch pedal"? basically keeping your bike in lowest possible gear for quick-like take off and such.

The parmakit cylinder looks good from those pictures, and the head looks really nice as well, nice squish band. The case however looks terrible, the intake looks really narrow and poorly designed to me. If I ran that cylinder I would have my polini case machined to fit it and use that instead.

You can lift and slip the belt and you can also push it down to rev the motor higher. It is like having a automatic with a gear shift, if you use it slowly and at the right times it does do wonders for acceleration or as a passing gear. I properly setup one really needs to be in position that you can do really small changes with your foot to get the best results.

-naz

Thanks guys, I'm going to look into it a bit more.

Elliot: How much were you pushing on it? It sounds like slight motions are the way to go, I could see how really putting your foot into it would cause a problem.

Really though, any part titled "Launch Lever" for a moped has me sold.

i attached a piece of metal to the motor and pushed it directly with my foot, trust me adding pressure, does not make u stay in low gear longer or help on hills (thats what i thought). If it does anyhting it slows you down. but relieving pressure will make u rev up then u can "drop the clutch" as they say easily after ur motor has gained the HP from the rpms to help pull up hills and get a great launch from a stop.

worth more experimentation

lee's anus is leefungchowOG /

metal shavings everywhere!!!!!!! grind away! david is your polini botom end in pieces? i want to see it one day. ok elliot know exactly what your saying, a properly tuned engine and clutch and variator is gonna be better than a shitty little pedal.

My polini bottom end is on my bike, running solid...

The launch pedal worked wonders on michael naz's peugeot. Holding the rev way out in "1st gear" and then letting it spring back creates an incredibly fun "launch" into second gear.

Saying a pedal doesn't do anything is going against a lot of racing experience in France it seems.... for example:

some pedal examples that might work....

This one takes a fairly close look

A interesting frame a pedal assembly

another interesting motor mounting and pedal setup.

http://galerie.competition50cc.info/thumbnails.php?album=189

Yeah but we aren't racing our bikes we're riding them around town. You don't need a launch lever for our purposes. Get the variator, spring, and clutch tuned properly and you're good to go.

Pfft, you can do all that, and still have a launch lever. It's not something you 'Need' to have, but it sounds like fun. It's something else you can tweak when riding, and that alone has me sold on the concept.

And who says we're not racing them? I've got a road track I can take it on, once I break the 60 mark.

Yeah but trust me, putting together a performance peugeot is no simple task, it is a lot of work, a lot of time and effort, and a lot of fine tuning. You'll be trying out all sorts of different setups before you get it exactly how you want it, and a launch lever is absolutely the last thing to worry about after everything else. I'm just saying, if you are new to performance peugeots, don't even focus on that right now, there is so much else to worry about, and you want your bike to run well without that.

It's not so much as a focus, as a part that comes with the kit.

I know how performance tuning works, I know the hours of peaking levels of love/hate involved.

I also know I've got about a month to buy everything I feel I'll need to get it ready for late summer/fall.

I don't see why I need to be told what to think about when it comes to my bike. I asked what it was.. Actually I didn't even ask, I just mentioned it was there.

Hell, I didn't even ask for help with tuning it, I just wanted to know if anyone had the blasted kit, and could share their thoughts.

But I apreciate that you care about my project so much.

~Grumpy

I'm not telling you what to think, you are coming here asking for advice, and I'm giving you my advice based on my experience and my research, if you don't like my advice you don't have to take it. I hope your project turns out well, I really do, just trying to point you in the right direction is all.

Sorry David, I responded at a bad moment.

It's snowing again, and I'm looking for any excuse to get annoyed.

I'll probably post more when I actually get all the stuff.

The other items I'm looking at are the Delorto 21mm pghb, malosi variator, and a pipe. Haven't decided on the pipe yet, I know it'll be one of the harder parts to find.

I shouldn't have written most of that.

This winter's killing me.

~Zack

No problem!

I haven't used the malossi variator, only the doppler one. As for pipes, I have a doppler pipe and love it, haven't tried any other pipes, but in my experience the doppler pipe is great for a bike with a lot of power, bad for lower power setups.

I remember seeing a picture Naz posted about their Malossi one, it appeared to allow for a much lower 'starting' gear. Acceleration is more of what I'm going for on this, so that's what I'll eventually be gearing for. How does the doppler (variator) perform in this area?

Since I seem to have your ear for the moment ;)

Same thing with the doppler variator -- the diameter of the variator at idle is much smaller than the stock variator, so you are "geared" lower at idle. Has always worked great for me, I'm sure the malossi is great as well.

Oh and the polini lever kinda sucks... just to let everyone know. It sits in less then optimal spot.

-naz

The Doppler is easier to tune and ligher. The malossi is heavier but allows for the use of the stock clutch if you do not feel like dropping the cash on a nice clutch pulley. The clutch pulley and something like bidalot or doppler variator is a little more high end. Just my 2 cents.

-naz

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account