bored bing to 17mm pics!

so um yeah, i decided to go for it. i just got a za50 metra 65 and want to beef it up a little. its going on my red monza which has to mount the za at a slight upward angle. this is probably not great for the motor. last za i had on the red monza locked at 50mph. gonna double fill the tranny this time :=P

anyway so this build should be fast, but not tooo fast know what im saying? 65 metra, bored 17mm bing, bored 17mm (carb side) to 20mm (cylinder side) intake. the metra intake port is 20mm btw.

it also got a reshaped tomos tecnigas next. adjusted header, shortened stinger and flipped around silencer. believe it or not its actually a really decent pipe. better midrange and even top as a homoet 4p.

pic

any way back to the point. i took a 12mm bing, ate a bunch of the meat with a tungsten bit on the dremel. then i clamped that shit down, and inserted a fucked up big orange grinding bit for the dremel. it has been used on lots of other projects so it was already in the shape of a cone. so i literally barely held the dremel over the carb body, and just let gravity do the work. listened to some music, smoked a cig and sprayed wd40 a shit ton. it came out soooo even and smooth. cant seem to take a good pic though.

i didnt hit into the float bowl or anything. i stoped just short of the slide chamber so technically its like 16mm on the air filter side. i just wanted to make sure air didnt get past the sides of the slide. the main jet emulsion tube has a groove added to direct flow to the intake manifold side. and i will be sure to do the "lil buddy" trick and drill a small hole on the side of the carb above the top of the tickler button. this allows a minute amount more air in at idle which helps with the richness in low rpms notorious to the bored bings.

the intake was fun. i used a franco morini stock header (which is 20mm) and reshaped it to fit at the right angle. i then cut about 1 inch off an existing stock 12mm intake, sanded down the skinny part till it slid right in to the negrini header. applied jb weld, let cure then bored with the same method.

im very excited to see how this setup performs. i really really would like the monza to be a daily driver, but shit, any motor thats reliable is too slow for such a fast looking bike. any motor fast enough to match the looks blows up. e50s wont work, i have to modify a za50 to even use that. the original motor is rare, expensive, and the dollar is fucked right now. so this should be the best of both worlds. hoping for like just under 50mph. good torque, keep up with traffic and... not blow up....

heres the pics! big but not too big.

Re: bored bing to 17mm pics!

thanks for the lil buddy plug dude!!! haha. that was originally a tip from shaw.

Nice!

Hmmm, daring move :P

Hope it runs well, be sure to post a vid if it does :)

Does the throttle slide seal on its sides? It looks it will leak when your throttle is closed.

naw i checked. total pain in the ass, had to clean the carb, chamfer bore, insert slide, bore more, rinse and repeat. thats why i left the air filter side like 16mm wide on the sides. besides, if it does leak a little that would be good. lean out idle and low end a tad.

ya keep us updated... 17 mm might be a new record in bing boring i dunno...

hippy did that but the slide wasnt big enough

"and i will be sure to do the "lil buddy" trick and drill a small hole on the side of the carb above the top of the tickler button. this allows a minute amount more air in at idle which helps with the richness in low rpms notorious to the bored bings."

hi harold, can you, or someone, give more details on exactly where you drilled this hole? I am having the very rich at idle issue with my 12 bored to 14.2. jet is right-on for wot, tried dropping the needle to the max, but still super rich at and won't hold a low idle, floods and fouls, especially if i stop the rear wheel spinning. thanks!

M

maybe it's just simpler than i'm making it. from your description, it sounds like i'll be drilling into the side of the slide cylinder, near the top of the venturi. Is that correct? Also, i figure the hole should be pretty small, I plan on starting with my smallest non-micro bit and see how that does, does that sound reasonable? thanks again, i'd hate to mess up my only good carb for my only running bike right now.

m

nice, lets see some pics of the puch monza!!

little buddy?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account