Polini intakes - what best for break in?

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

So I've got some options for my polini, and I want to know what would be best for the break in period.

Option #1:

4 petal reed cage w/ 19mm PHBG and Boyesen dual stage reeds

Option #2:

4 petal reed cage w/ 19mm PHBG and "stock" reeds that came with the malossi 4 petal cage

Option #3:

Standard 2 reed polini intake w/ 15mm bing

What would be best? Should I start with option 3 and change to option 1 after break in? Or just cut right to the top performance setup?

Also, do the Boyesen dual stage reeds make much of a difference?

Re: Polini intakes - what best for break in?

start with what u plan to run in ur final setup and go easy or ur gonna be tuning forever and have a greater chance of getting an air leak etc.

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Alright, will do. I just didn't know if that would be too much for it for break in. This is my first polini, so I'm gonna be anal about it.

all that matters is tuning for break in. four petals seem to have more horse power but as long you are dialed in right it should be fine. run a little fat and you'll be good.

) Cupermcnewbster ( /

I don't think the boyesen does shit on a moped. My buddy had them make some reeds for his athena, before treats got then all, and they (boyesen) said dual stage isn't really going to do much for such small displacement.

Besides, the malossi box already has carbon reeds, so why replace them? Thats like an $80 intake if you go that route. If you do, wanna send me your old reeds?

the boysen reeds do help in fact they make those ones 4 50cc scooters so I don't know why they would tell you that. I doubt its the same advantage u will see in a large displacement motor but A. Bell uses them exclusively so they are better.

Do you want to be fast or do u want to be the fastest?

the boysens are just good for making torque in the lows on a tricked-out engine. if you aren't getting reed flutter with stock reeds, you dont need the stiffer boysens. if you are.. you do, and you'll know it.

'tuning' does not mean buying every performance part you can find and slapping it on. reed stiffness is a tuning element, putting stiffer/softer/2 stage reeds on has an effect on many parts of the engines operation.

oh yeah, i'd reccomend running it with what you plan on finally running it with as well... back to the topic.

Polini intakes - what best for break in?

Run what ever you plan but use 25 to 1, 2 stroke synthetic mix. Cut back to 50 to 1 later after break in

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account