Weight of wheels

Anyone ever weighed 5 spoke puch mags to see how they compare to spoke wheels. I'm curious if they're actually light enough that they'd be worth tracking down a set/ paying assloads for a new set.

I know the puch snowflake mags are heavier than spoke wheels and the Motobecane 6 spoke mags are much heavier than puch snowflakes, but I've never had a set of 5 spoke puch mags to weigh.

Re: Weight of wheels

1523423 lbs.

I'll try to weigh mine tonight

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

no official weighing, but i held seth's 5 starts and compared them to a pair of spoked wheels, the spoked wheels were much lighter. mags are typically pretty damn heavy.

My 16" spoked rims weigh just under 4lbs without the tires, the heaviest component being the brake hub.

Like M^2 says, "Mags are only light when they're made of magnesium."

Srsly! he knows everything

Weight of wheels

MB5=heavy mofo's

Yeah, I like the look of spoke wheels, anyway. The only thing the mags really have going for them is that high torque engines don't make them all loose over time, although a spoke wheel can be tightened anyway.

....yeah, and when you crack a mag....that pretty much the end. Spokes can be replaced.

So...about the actual weights...?

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

like i said, mags are heavier.

if that's not good enough for you, go find some wheels and weigh them.

from what I remember a few years ago when I weighed them with a hanging fish scale.

spoke puch wheels = about 10lbs

puch snowflake mags = about 12lbs

motobecane 6 spoke mags= about 14lbs

puch 5 spoke star mags = ?

I don't remember if that was with or without tires.

motobecane wins!

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

Just from carrying them, I'd think 5 stars are about on par with snowflakes. Maybe a tad lighter. But spokes are the lightest fo' sho'.

Alright curiosity got the better of me and I just ran out and grabbed a 5 star and a spoked rim. I put them on the bathroom scale so it might not be the most acurate thing in the world, I'll put em on the digital kitchen scale when I get the chance.

Both wheels have no tires or tubes neither have axles, the 5 star have sealed bearings and the spoked one is with out its balls. I used the same break assembly with both wheels.

Spoked rim (2") - just under 4lbs (say 3.75)

5 star - just over 5lbs (say 5.25)

So the spoked rims are about 30% lighter.

so about 1.5 lbs heavier per wheel, almost the same as a snowflake. Cool, thanks Chris.

what spoked wheel was it and what size there should be an archive of every wheel and how much they weigh with and without the brake hub il go upstairs and measure mine now

paz,

was that the thicker puch rim or the thinner one... i think the 1.75" puch rims are even lighter than that, around 3 and a quarter.

yea it was the domed lighter version wight the thinner rim.

wow a batavus spoked 16 inch (rear) is a hefty 9 lbs with tire and no brake hub no tube thats mad heavy let get the weight without brake because the brake isn't rotational mass id like to see the puch 1.75 spoked eight if hey are way lighter i want to buy a set

Tire and tube choice will make the biggest diff. The differences in weights are amazing. You are fucking with the fates though to put light weight tire made for a 30 mph stock bike and do 60 mph. My present compromise are IRCs. Let me know if you all have a better idea. Some pro BMX tires are built with mega plys and look tough. Make a stationary machine to put some on and see at what speed they blow off

Oh yea, Cheng Shins are supposed to be able to handle 92 mph but I don't know how the testing was done.

on a treadmill prob lmao

At least its unsprung weight.

2" tires = amazing everything

i run 2"

Elliot is right....it is amazing.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account