crazy pipe

can anyone explain what the deal is with these little horn pipes are? i imagine they are performance enhancing as they are on racing bikes. My friend has one of these bikes and we are trying to figure out if we could/should do something like this.

Thanks.

Re: crazy pipe

they are....LOUD AS HELL.

if thats your thing be my guess.

pre expansion chamber stuff. they're called megaphone pipes. my understanding is that they act like the tapered header on an expansion pipe and aid in scavenging the cylinder.

Old School Brent /

I don't know about the pipe, but that Delortto UA19mm carb caught my eye! That carb is the "Real ( Old School ) Deal"

Good Luck with your project! Brent

those pipes create a vacuum, because they expand, and pull out spent charge from the cylinder. The problem is, they can also pull out too much and take the fresh charge with it. That's what an expansion chamber stops, because it creates a vacuum, and then a reverse wave of pressure to hold the new charge in the cylinder.

pretending to be newport /

i bet it would be a great idea to ride that on the salt flats..... wouldnt it suck up sand into the cylinder?

looks pretty rad but yea i bet it fucking kills your ears

Its what people used before the greatness that is the expansion chamber was discovered or made it to mainstream use. The main flaw of this type of pipe is that while it does help with scavenging it also sucks your fresh fuel mix right out the exhaust.

no it wouldn't suck up sand, the vacuum that it creates is near the exhaust port, not near the end of the horn

it looks just like a moby exhaust with the end cap off, plus a bit of a taper. If its anywhere near as loud as that, then best of luck to your eardrums.

you blast rocket fuel out of it and fly.

through the air

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account