Derbi variant speed mod gone wrong? eh?

ok, so y'all with derbibibi variants and the restrictor thing on the variator... yeah, well when I got my derbi someone had already dremmeled it off, and now the belt slips like crazy, I guess since that extra piece is gone it's no longer tight enough... what to do?!!?!? should I get a new belt? where? ahhhh? oh nononono!, heh, thanks

Re: Derbi variant speed mod gone wrong? eh?

I've gone to NAPA like 3 times, and every belt is too skinny, or too long if I can find a wide enough one.. poop, anyone have any experience?

duct tape and a childlike faith in the impossible.

What year variant...couple a different ways to handle this ...is old belt trashed...is rear tensioner functioning right ? Im gueassing its the varitaor with three weights..? You can machine the rear tensioner where the two cheeks come together...there is alittle space there to get some more tension...you pick up a little bottom end with that mod...how are gettin the belt on you got that giant socket...? that rear tension set up needs a special puller...as does clutch.. can be made out of front wheel drive axle nut email me if you want...shaw

Our rally would have sucked if not for Harolds Duct tape...Zip ties...Child like faith...!!!!!

Shaw, I'm not sure of the year because I'm not near it now, but it's a Red SLE Pyramid Reed inducted 3 weight variator, it used to have an electric start but I took that off...

as far as proper functioning of the pulley, it is from what I can tell functioning properly(the back opens up and the front closes) I do have that big socket, but I've been getting my belt on and off like I put a chain on my bike, is that stretching it too much? oops... and what exactly do you mean by machining the rear pulley? taking it off and making it more skinny or something?

tanks le dood

oh and harold, I shredded my belt comeing home from a bar one night and duct tape and childlike faith did safe my ass! yay rig jobs!

Future vic /

that's how I stretched my belt out. Its not a good idea. If someone has the exact dimensions for the belt, let me know I have a bunch of possible

sources.

I'm assuming he means you can machine the rear pulley like you can with the front variator pulley to get more gearing out of it.

cool, I'm guessing that if I measure my stretched belt it's not gonna be a really good measurement, I guess we could just subtract a cm or 2, if anyone has the N0S measurement than that'd be awesome! indeed awesome

If you take the belt off you can see that the rear pulleys do not touch ....there is room there for a noticable gain ...the inside of those pulleys can be machined down with out a loss of strength so they pinch more and then you can machine the front pulley down in where the belt sits at low speed to make it sit lower in the "V" don't machine into the higher part or this will effect top end.. this will make that bike rip out the hole...back too OG prob ..I think you stretched the belt cuz that variator dremel job does not affect belt tension those belts are hard to come by and yes you should always take variator off to change those belts and they cant be gettin oily ...If you could find a 6 roller variator and put that on there with only 3 rollers and then do the machining ...also that stock pyramid cylinder can really fly... get a metra puch 65cc piston and have that thing bored out and a port job...love them derbeeez...oh that belt is rumored to be the same belt as some bakery machine(for reals)...hahaha serious though...If you cant find one I could dig one up as I already promised a lady with a derbi one ..better see how many I got ...good luck

shaw shaw caw caw! i already have that metra! and the huge pipe with the blue stinger! hah vroom! yeah derbi is the best moped no doubt i've gotten well above 50 on flat and proly 60 drafting semis! yeah that's my favorite bike ever, alas, i am without a belt and cannot start my baby!

so the point is, i don't wanna ask you to give up your rare belt, and i proboly dont want to pay what it's worth to you either, ya know? so if you could somehow measure the N0S belt than i'll make a wiki of it and then the derbi belt drought is over yayYAY!!!

thanks indeed!

I am getting a couple belts and other parts shipped from spain. i will let everybody now as soon as they get here.

bring belts to HS Richmond swap meet!

bumpo

sizes anyone?

i think i need a belt too, for the same reasons.. my belt is definitely stretched / loose, not sure if this derbi already has the speed mod or not (she does 40+ on a good day, does that sound modded?) all i know is i lost all the low-end and it makes me cry

nope, thats stock derbi buddy! derbi-rad

Yo count ....that is one rare cylinder you have there!!!! Are you runnin stock reed ...carb?? Have you seen wwwanimotos.com I cant link sheeet...But I bet they have sikko belts amongst other things...Like I say I can spare a belt if there is no other way to go...me and colby got a bunch of derbis off a little Island 26 miles off of Los Angeles...called Catalina Island thats how everybody got around over there ...there are a few belts in the tangled mess...let me know...Oh I have one more Idea I just thought about...oooh...I'll post soon as I check..........Shaw

Whoa that animotos site is nuts.

I take it all back, check out this pic from the variant repair manual I just got. you can take your belt off that way i guess.

1204481782_derbi_sl_manual_006.jpg

ok, looked around a bit a found this. I have no idea if its the right size, but its worth a shot. It says it fits the variant revolution.

http://beedspeed.com/drive-belt-dayco-standard-7188-derbi-50cc-p-2489.html?cPath=74_227_239&osCsid=8.

If that belt will work this might be handy? http://www.beedspeed.com/html-pages/DriveBeltChart.htm

Just went out and found the belt from my 99' revolution. It reads Dayco 7188 00f02600371 "Made in E.E.C".

How does that compare to whats printed on the older variant belts?

Maybe they could be found through here? http://www.daycoproducts.com/

0008226370 is the derbi part number for older variants.

i wonder how close that is to the right size. it looks really similar.

Yea ...the first derby I got I put the belt on that way and it was such a bitch I knew it couldn't be good for it...but that manual, if you read further down the page it says if the belt is 25 to 30 years old take variator off...nah just messsin round...That belt does look close ..I should try my revolutions belt on my variant...revolutions have a way different set-up-clutch is on the back pulley...way better!...thanx for that info

THANKS SHAW!!! my derbi is !!!!!!!!!!!!!! vroooommm sauce now! wooow ooo

shaw you should have come to bomb prom. my derbi is gonna be killin it. srsly

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account