is 15.15 enough for a 70cc?

so i got a 70cc kit for my moby project, many people seem to have the dellorto 15.15 on it. is this the best for it? others seem to say that a larger carb would be preferred. an intake for the 15 seems really easy to find, but i cant find the larger ones. if i went bigger, where do i get an intake? also, my kit is pretty lame with out a hc head huh?

Re: is 15.15 enough for a 70cc?

If you want to use a sha carb (like a 15.15 or 16.16) it will work alright but to get the most out of your kit you really need a 19 or 21 phbg carb.

Email treats and ask him if he has any 19mm intakes. He will either tell you when he thinks he will get more or he will have them unlisted.

Also if you want more compression you could always shave your own head, but be careful to make sure the piston doesn't hit the head or even get too close or your piston will hit your head and you will have all sorts of problems.

I read that if i have a smaller carb It may perform better at lower speeds due to faster airflow, is this true? should I take this into account with what im looking for?

In my experience a bigger carb is better all around both low and high. Other people may disagree, or maybe there intake port is small I dunno

Tracy -

I just tried both: a 16:16SHA and now a 19PHBG. There really is no comparison. The 19mm destroys the small carb. In every aspect. Low end, mid, and obviously top.

It's true, some kits are going to need different things. Apparently this Parma needs MORE carb!!

nice, a direct comparison. thats all i need to hear, now just to drop some cash, oh and find a damn intake...

tracy, use a 14 mm bendy (13.8mm to be exact) that came with bike. or get the 15 mm shorty from mopedshop. that is what i got.

those would work with the 19mm?

i imagine that they would. all you got to do is create a neck spacer to make sure that thecarb seals properly over the intake...

yeah.....but why the hell would you use a 14mm intake with a 19 carb?

restriction much?

I concur Andy. Tre Getting a bigger carb with a smaller intake defeats a bigger carb's purchase. I've been up that road. Treats should have the 19mm intake. I used to run a 19mm phbg carb connected to 15mm intake. Bought the 21 mmphbg race carb, custom built a 20mm intake and OOOOH, THE PLEASURE. Simple schematics...

thanks, yeah I can't believe they dont list those things on the websites right next to the carbs... I figured having the big intake will really get the most outta the carb, especially for my airsal! Anybody with a similar 70cc/19PHBG/ninja g3 setup, what airfilter do you use?

couple layers of panty hose.

muahahah.

I concur with Ben and have also done the 16 and 19. There is no comparison, the 19 kills. Not only does it need more carb, but it helps too have something more tunable and a more complex idle circuit. I couldn't get any power out of the 16.

The malossi one that 1977 works great.

Pantyhose is kinda ghetto.

Using a multiple jet carburetor (like an SHB) is going to be great for low end performance. Your rpm's get way too high to tune a SHA and still have any low end.

Something with a needle and multiple jets is much more awesome, but much harder to tune correctly.

Carbs larger then 19 often run smaller main jets. This means going faster and getting better gas mileage.

The PHBG19 is a proven gas hog/waste (also awesomely fast).

It's not THAT hard to tune....

PS....if you don't have a fast bike by the time of our rally Eric, you have first dibs on one of my Mobys...

Oh, and Tracy - you CAN'T use your 15 or 16 intake for the PHBG.

I thought the same thing until I held them up side my side. The 19mm shorty for the PHBG is bigger in every critical dimension. In fact, the 16 intake I compared wouldn't even fit the PHBG without leaking air. It's simply too small where it clamps on.

Just be patient...Treats will have them soon enough. Believe me...it's worth it.

THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK, I TOLD TREATS TO LET ME KNOW AS SOON AS HE GETS 'EM

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account