40 vs. 50v Belt tension springs

Are the belt tension springs different between a dimoby 40 and a variated 50v? I noticed a difference in the spring keepers, the latch looking thing that keeps the spring held back... It seems that when I swapped the variator to the 40 I should have swapped springs and keepers

Will someone reinforce this idea for me?

Re: 40 vs. 50v Belt tension springs

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

the keepers are different. You can just dremel out the dimoby keeper to be a variated one im pretty sure

thats what i do!

Also, it helps to clamp the 40 springs in a vise and bend them out. They don't push the engine forward hard enough unless you do this, and you will have starting problems.

So, are you telling me that the dimoby keeper will limit the variators movement?

thats exactly it. it will only variate about halfway if you dont cut that hooky guy

Exerrent! I'll change them out after work. Thanks Everyone!

i need to do this too - help me out with some pics?

You don't need pictures, it is as obvious as a punch to the face...

Hooked.

1202331783_moby_hook_modify.jpg

I don't know how much it amounts too in final reduction but switching the spring keeper yielded an eighth of an inch, maybe more, climb up the cheeks. I was not fully variated before, now I am. The temp dropped to quick and I pussied out so I don't know if it goes any faster, but it does variate fully. how many times can i type that.

bret thanks - i looked at my bike and understood this in 5 seconds :)

but.

why do you need the hook / guide there at all? what would happen if you just cut it off?

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

your belts would wear out like mad

i used to run w/o the hook wen i originally got a variator on my 40 o so long ago, and it was fine, most belts prevent the spring from even hitting the retaining bracket anyways. i eventually dremeled out after seeing one bret had modded in this fasion.

belts r cheap, bret is right about the 40t springs they don't like to spring out as far as the 50v ones since they have been held back in one spot for 30 years.

i get the need for a rear stop, i don't get the need for a horizontal limit - it's not like there are any vertical forces moving the springs down, right?

why would i eat belts w/o a stopper?

sorry it's late i'm probably missing something obvious..

ok from the boneyard ...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account