bmx wheels on puch

has anyone tryed to lace bmx 20inch rims to puch hubs. if it could work it would improve acelleration and reduce wieght as well as rolling resistance

Re: bmx wheels on puch

I havn't ever tried it, or thought about it for that matter, but it seems like it would work, as long as there were the same amount of holes on the rim as holes on the hub for the spokes. kinda on the same topic, i was looking at some BMX mag rims that looked sick and thought about mounting them to a moped, but no brakes, unless some are made with internal drums like mopeds, that would be sick.

I don't support ebay posts on MA, but this is differnet

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHEELSET-BIKE-20-MAG-6-SPOKES-COASTER-WHEEL-BLK_W0QQitemZ160188624464QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48845QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It already kinda has a brake mechanism on the rear rear, so maybe possible to mount two rears on a moped. That would be kick ass!!! or get some and convert to disk brakes

The question, as always, when adapting bike parts to mopeds, is can it handle the speed and vibration?

if you get some good bmx rims, not mags, they would be stronger... some alex triple walls would do it...

bmx freewheels ftw!

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

those plastic skyway mags will not work on a moped

the problem with bmx rims is that it's hard to find them the proper width to fit moped tires

yeah tripple walls would definitely handle the speed they handle a shit ton of abuse but try getting them in 36 spoke cause i dont think you can and the side walls on bmx tires are lower there for your tires wont seat right in there giving u some wobbles.

i want to see wheels with triple butted spokes.

maybe i'll have to build a set.

yeah they have 36 spoke alex triple wall rims

i been thinking about doing this too but the only problem i see is on most mopeds only the rear hub has 36 spokes and the front ones have 28 spokes

at least thats how the italian peds are i dont remember how puchs are

another problem is finding someone to make custom spokes

alex triple walls are heavy as fuck though.

Bruce Edwards /

Maury at Wheel Masters makes custom spokes. 253-927-0271

I think bicycle wheels would be fine as moped wheels as long as you had good brakes.

but they are still lighter than a crappy steel moped rim and like 10 times stronger

this carabela i bought the wheels weigh like 20 lbs each without the tires im guessing they are pretty strong though theyre built like motorcycle wheels

Bruce Edwards /

How strong do they need to be? I mean, I'm not carrying a passenger and I'm not jumping curbs. I'm just racing from stop light to stop light in the city. Hell, I'm not even turning corners at high speed.

Aren't those BMX mags plastic, also the axle is 10 mm, not 15 mm like our moped axles.

some moby axles are like 12mm or even ten I dunno but they are smaller. go for it I say. lighter is better.

i dont just jump off curbs the BMX track is great for mopeds too puch rims bend easy so dont motobecane ones

sometimes i carry a passenger or a shitload of stuff on the back

your supposed to beat the shit out of mopeds not not take it easy and only ride on smooth pavement

black mags, cool

i'm in the process of doing this, actually. not using the puch hubs, but some phil wood disc brake jobs.

if you do the math and figure out the spoke length and hub spacing, you shouldn't having a problem building a nice set..

I worked at a bike shop for a few years, so I know a bit about the parts that are out there, and I can tell you that a good set of BMX rims are going to be faaaaaar stronger than any 70's bent up tin foil rims you'll find on any moped.

The only problem I see is that most moped hubs expect thick gauge spokes (3mm I'm guessing), so if you were to use BMX spokes, there wouldn't be a good match between the spoke and hub, thereby creating considerable weakness.

On the other hand, if you were to use moped spokes, the nipples are going to be considerably larger than the holes in the rim.

I really want to bite down and put colored bmx rubber on some two inch puch spokes...

1.95inch tires on 2 inch wheels... bad idea? Maybe!

MARS: in that case you spend ten minutes with a beer in one hand and a portable drill in the other and up-size the spoke holes, yes?

i have been researching this option too. when you are shopping for rims and you want to buy a size comparable to the magnum 17" type wheel, what size rim are you going for? spread that bicycle knowledge around..

here isn't a bike rim sized the same as a moped 17. Sixteens of course

Ben there Done that.

24" bicycle wheel on the front with a disc brake hub and downhill forks. Its a dynamite combination. The Maxxis Hookworm tire grips very good and looks like new after 2400 miles.

The 16" moped tire fits perfectly on the 20" Alex DM24 rim. It is plenty wide for the tire. I used regular 14 gauge stainless steel spokes.

For faster applications I went to .105 (12 Ga ) SS spokes and Alex DX32 rims. They are 32mm wide between the ribs. I used a 3.25x16 Tomos tire.

It has a double disc 8" brakes that are overkill, but that is the fun.

Don

Moped Game Sally Struthers /

can you please explain the phanny pack mod further?

Brandon: Well, it depends; most nicer quality rims don't just have holes drilled in them, but have brass or steel hollow rivets through which the nipples pass. Drilling out larger holes in rims that don't have rivets would probably be fine, but then you'd still have to use crappy moped spokes and nipples instead of nice butted stainless bike spokes.

Salsa, you freaking rule. Those are awesome, especially the second one.

That Lifan engine is not light, though. I mean, it's light enough to mount without engine jacks (I just balanced mine on my knee and hefted it), but it could be MUCH lighter.

See if you can get your hands on a little Italian two-stroke race engine. Can you weld aluminum? Someday, I will have my sub-50# motorbike, and it will be just head explodie great.

It looks like you might beat me to it, though.

what about these rims

http://www.danscomp.com/422019.php?cat=PARTS

laced up to a pit bike hub with disk brakes?

cause if your gonna do the rebuild you might as well include the disks.

That rim should be fine. It says it is 32MM wide. The DX32 is 32MM between the flanges. IT says 39mm, but I don't know if the Odyssey is 32 between flanges.

Dan's has 12 gauge spokes that will fit.

http://www.danscomp.com/435925.php?cat=PARTS

With the DX32 rims I took the eyelets out and used the 12 gauge spokes.

Don

Just a thought about the spoke length issue- could you lace it in a 3-cross pattern instead of a 2-cross? Not only would that allow you to use longer spokes, it would also give you a stiffer wheel.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account