64 METRA 20mm PHBG overkill?

just to clear up some disputes. does anyone think that this is too big of a carb for the little metra?

Re: 64 METRA 20mm PHBG overkill?

it works good, maybe need leaner needles/idle but they all do

I'm not too familiar with PHBG, I could just lower the needle, or do you think I'd need a needle with more taper? do they use the same size main jets? (sorry for the ding dong questions I just haven't worked with PHBG yet. only bored out stock SHA and BING, 16.5 wasn't doin it for me I guess)

*sorry same size as SHA

PHBGs and SHAs use the same jets. i doubt you'll have to fuck with the needles to much. The 20mm will not be to big. Measure the size of the piston port and compare that to the carb you want to use.

Also, be sure to remember that the metrakit ports are all twisted off-center for some reason.

I run a 21mm phbg on my metra with a 6p. And I ruined my piston last night.

Bret, from what I rember it has a 19mm intake (correct me if I'm wrong) and from reading the two-stroke tuners manual it seems that having a carb that is a little bit larger thn your intake is good because it reduces condonsation effects, so I decided on a 20. plus I'm gonna match the intakes obviously so it's not an abrupt change from large to smaller.

Mike, why'd you do that?

Rafter, is that on an 80 or 65?

on my polini freespirit I thought it would be fun to make a wheely ped. so I put an 11 tooth sprocket in the front. yeah, it worked for a bit. than at 1100rpm a piece of my ring chipped off and lodged its self in my cranks main bearing... huh, no damage to the cylinder or piston. crazy.

doesn't Jennings advocate ports be tamped and angled? I forget why - I'll look it up when I get home.

metra reccomends a carb of 19mm or higher in their installation guide, ive run up to 24mm on the 65

good to know, thanks BWII

colby are you serious? for 65 cc? the porting on thst kit is way conservative stock, so i'm sure that the amount ported will have way more effect on the carb than anything else.

19.5mm is in the install guide, it lets em breathe

conservative porting really? from the last time I saw one of those (like a year ago) I was like woah! look at how big those ports are!. but that may just be bad memory and less experience back then

the exhaust port is reasonably big, and the intake is stock at 19.5 mm the transfers are relatively small, but the big carb with the conservative transfers makes for a ripper outta the hole

I was doing some GPS tests last night on my scrapper swinger. 65 metra 6p 21phbg. HIgh Compression all over. I heard it detonating all shitty at about 52 mph and when I let off the throttle it died slowly.

I wonder if anybody has made the transfers bigger on one for a high rpm screamer?Wouldn't it be worth it to enlarge the intake port on one to go even bigger than 19.5 mm?

yikes those pics are scary

if i showed you the ports on our 65cc kits, id have to kill you

rafter...... that sucks bro

Some things are more important than dying. Can I see the ports now?

slightly ported not like birds

Re: slightly ported not like birds

I seized my 65 metra, 21 phbg dellorto with a 6p last week, couldn't spin the magneto to get it unstuck, took the head off and pushed the piston in with my finger and it unstuck. I got so lucky.

puchati rides again!!!!!

yeah I was running way to lean still on that last myrons run. So glad I didn't seize again. Re Jetted on chevy chase. Running Just a little too rich but she shouldn't seize again until next time we're in Sacarmento.

So yes you can run that carb on that kit, just make sure the intake matches up and it's jetted right and you're getting enough fuel.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

as in use it.

badass

Moped Game Sally Struthers /

rafter, too bad you didnt get a pic of that piston before the install...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account