Exhaust gasket material

🎨🏆 Duncan /

I am adapting a pipe to a morini engine and have found the aftermarket puch gasket to have a header diameter opening which is too big, cutting into needed gasket surface area. I was wondering what would be a suitable material for a custom gasket so that I can make exactly what I need. Should I just go to a motorcycle shop or can I use real thin ply plywood or something like that?

Re: Exhaust gasket material

I found some nice metal impregnated ceramic stuff at napa. It looks like tan cardboard and aluminum sandwich . They did have to order it.it comes in like a 12 by like 28 piece. I guess so people can make exhaust header gaskets from it.I cut it with sharp scissors as best I can, or use a jigsaw, or scroll saw(that does the cleanest cut) and a old bullet casing to punch the holes. It was around 10 to 12 dollars for the piece, and I have enough material that I will never ever have to buy another exhaust gasket again.

I found Merit part # 9245 or Walker #31530 has plenty of material to make a few gaskets. Just be careful when cutting it, You can get cut from the material quite easily.

I think NAPA carries Walker brand.

Chas

sensor safe high temperature rtv works if you are developing because it doesnt last long but it will save you from making a zillion gaskets if you are experimenting.

🎨🏆 Duncan /

Thanks for the responses folks. Idk about the rtv for this application wari, because the mating surface isn't dead flat (thought I'm going to fix that as best I can without getting on the mill) I'll hit up the local advanced auto and see what they have that I might be able to use. I'll have a Bianchi build post and throw pics in that later, sometime around the end of this week...

good info, thanks!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account