internally geared hubs on a moped?

has anyone ever tried to put something like this

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=10697&category=2713

on a moped? they even make cvp ones . . .

Re: internally geared hubs on a moped?

The Gordon's Fisherman /

Like an old 3 speed. I dont think the gears would be strong enough.

This would be the way to go

sorry for the cut and paste but I forgot how to link

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/NuVinci.asp

Re: This would be the way to go

If you do a google search on "Sturmey-Archer" you will find a lot of info on them. In the early days of motorcycles, say about 1910 to 1920, they were quite popular. They would handle the torque of large single and twin cylinder motorcycle.

The business is still running but in Taiwan. Look at their catalog. I have always thought that this would be just the ticket to mount on a single speed moped.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

i had a three speed folding bicycle when i lived on the boat, and it would only shift when you stopped pedaling. i don't see how it could work on a moped, unless there are hubs that can shift with torque on them

There was a guy that used to come on our monthly moped rides that had a nexus 7 internal shift hub with one of those chinese bicycle motors...it went pretty good ...he said if he shifted under power it would slam so hard it was scary...don't know about the sturmy archer ...except they are very strong bicycle wise...go for it

of course it would be strong enough

just think about how much torque a strong man puts out when riding a bicycle up a steep hill

a moped engine would never be able to put out as much torque even with every mod you can possibly do

oh come now. _Every_ mod?

i was part of a high mileage vehicle competition in high school, and we tried to drive a lot of bike parts with gas engines. Even a small 2 hp gas engine will shred bike stuff very quickly unless its set up with a belt and jack shaft to absorb vibrations.

I've installed some myself onto some motorized bike wheels, and have spoken to others that have as well. Usually they work great for a little while, and you end up with detonation. My longest lasting setup is this one...it's a vintage fully centrifugal automatic 2-speed hub (not a kickback) made by Sachs.

I've talked to this guy before that blew up this setup. I heard it went fast as hell for a little while.

That was one of thost 7-speed internals by the way.

My 2-speed one has SUPER duty weights and planetary gears in it.

try a roloff 14 speed hub i hear theyre industructable if ya can afford it

i have seen a few bikes running nexus 7 speed hubs powered by modified B&S eteks and theyre holding up

an etek will puts out more torque than a 4 cylinder car engine

hey rob you gut any of them freewheeling double chainrins like in the pic i need one with the crank for my electric BMX

"of course it would be strong enough

just think about how much torque a strong man puts out when riding a bicycle up a steep hill

a moped engine would never be able to put out as much torque even with every mod you can possibly do"

wtf are you smoking? are you as strong as 2-3 horses?

This would be the way to go

I've always wanted to put one at least on the pedal side

i am 10 horses strong i will F u up

I made up that freewheel setup...

did i say anything about horse power no i didnt im talking about torque

it may be 10 hp but very low torque especially being a 2 stroke they put out the lowest torque of all engines

I.R.E. Mike Pee /

roloff? If I had $1500 to blow on just a hub that will probably get shredded by a moped engine...well, I'd probably try it. I was thinking I might do something good for the world with that money, but nah, I'd get the hub.

crankshaft horsepower is roughly equal to output horsepower through a gear/chain/belt reduction, but crankshaft torque gets multiplied by the gear ratio. Your engine is making like 1-2 lb-ft at 3000 rpms, the human is making like 20 ft-lbs at 60 rpms... when the gears turn the 3000 rpms into a manageable speed, you are looking at much more torque to the rear wheel. When that engine is tuned to make 4 ft-lb at 9000 rpms, you're talking some serious torque by the time you get to the rear wheel.

but its not about torque, its about impulse, with a direct drivetrain the shock from the engine is run right through the chains, gears, deraleurs and such, which is what really shreds 'em fast.

and there is no briggs and stratton engine that makes 60 ft-lb of torque (on the low end of passenger car 4-bangers)

seriously stop saying stupid shit, and making stuff up.

a briggs etek is electric

I just test rode a bike with an internally geared hub that impressed me. It isn't geared for hauling ass like a road bike, more of a city cruiser. The most interesting aspect was that it used a drive-shaft in lieu of a chain. The resulting design is extremely clean, and rivals a fixie for elegance in simplicity while also giving you options if you live in a hilly environment. Here is a link to one for sale, the company website doesn't show it off enough...

http://velospace.org/node/3570

boogie woogie woogie

I know someone that did some testing with electric motors on just a regular bike frame.

The bike did about 50mph... but what they quickly found out was that the drive chain was no where near strong enough. So even if the hub holds out... the drive chain won't.

it must of been a really big electric motor or a really crappy chain

a good bike chain is pretty tough it doesnt break too easy

i also have to vouch for the nexus hubs, i built about a 400 pound electric vehicle with an etek on it and it handled it just fine. we could almost break the rear wheel loose at full power and the hub held up

but the people on here think the etek is a gas engine

i have the strength of a bear

who has the strength of two bears.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account