spark pulg cap question

which spark plug cap (or boot if you will) is everyone running? i see 1977 has 3, a Bosch, a NGK or a clear one. i am partial to Bosch electrics, i need to order one, as my cap keeps popping off, and its a bitch to put back on at 45+ mph. so, i guess what i am asking is, are there any noteworthy gains with any of them?

thanks~

Re: spark pulg cap question

i use NGK. but i also use whatever everyone else has when my shit goes bunk.

thanks e-diggity :) at this point, if it stays put and conducts electricity, i'm all for it

I'm using carbon-core ACDelco wire with a Delphi boot... I hacked it out of a junk-yard car.

Free.

Dan

don we talked about stuff before what jet are you down to man! 35 idle 77 main w07 needle 40 slide and i think i still need leaner everything! all on the MK 21/estoril

stock plug caps are shielded so they do not create electrical disturbance on radios or other sensative electronic equipment. a good quality car or small engine one works just as good. i like the ones on lawnboy mowers they really grip the plug well.

yep the one on my indian came off a lawnboy lawnmower and the one on my pepi came off a honda lawnmower

a spark plug cap is a spark plug cap

some of the car ones are nice cause they lock on pretty tight

silicone wires work good too

the bosch electrical systems are supposed to have a 1K ohm resistor in them, its built into the funky metal caps. I dont think it makes a big difference, but i believe adding resistance to the circut in the proper amount makes your spark stronger.

the bosch electrical systems are supposed to have a 1K ohm resistor in them, its built into the funky metal caps. I dont think it makes a big difference, but i believe adding resistance to the circut in the proper amount makes your spark stronger.

that just doesnt make any sense how could adding a resistor make a stronger spark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit

ELECKTRONIKS R MAJIK! LOLZ!

i know about electronics

without the resistor more power will get to the plug than with the resistor so therefor more power better spark

a resistor limits the flow of electricity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc

"An electric arc has a non-linear relationship between current and voltage. Once the arc is established (either by progression from a glow discharge or by momentarily touching the electrodes then separating them), increased current results in a lower voltage between the arc terminals. This negative impedance effect requires that some positive form of impedance to be placed in the circuit, if it is desired to maintain a stable arc. This property is the reason uncontrolled electrical arcs in apparatus become so destructive, since once initiated an arc will draw more and more current from a fixed-voltage supply until the apparatus is destroyed."

'ya learn somethin' new every day.

thanks for the info guys!

commando~ i am still running the same setup i was having issues with, but here in CT, the wather has been too cold to properly fine tune it. i did order more jets, so come spring/summer i will be back at it. another thing i thougt of is i think my gearing is too close, so at 'cruising speed' its really revving too high. i will need to gear up to keep some load on the engine at speed thus reducing the over rev condition.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account