Test mount for engines?

i ran a search for this, but couldn't find anything. anyhoo. anyone got a pic or a template of how to make a fixture for mounting engines on so that i can test to see if it's running before i strap it to my ped.

it'd be cool if it has interchangable mounts for diffrent engines. anyone got any ideas?

Re: Test mount for engines?

the easiest way I can think of is using a parts ped frame. Hack it to desired size & mount it to where ever.

The Gordon's Fisherman /

Wouldnt it take the same hassle to mount it to a rig, as it would mounting it to the frame?

depends on how often you rebuild motors. i have thought of doing it myself dude. i think the easiest thing to do would be chop a frame. second easiest would be to take a big section of square steel the right size and just drill 2 mount holes, just find some old rusted piece of something. dont need 3 if you are just testing it. then just clamp that shit into a bench vise.

well, i do rebuild a lot of engines...and it'd be nice to setup a rig so i could check to see if i can get it running before i strap it on the bikes..

somehow i'd like it to have a clamp style that's adjustable, so i could fit numerous motors on it. then it'd need to have an HT coil and a light, then you could spin it up with a drill or something.

i'll start drawing otu a skematic

I wonder if a transmission stand can be modified?

that might be a good idea m6onz5a.....

the clamp would have to be set like a V where you could have it open and close like a fly trap, but be strong enough to hold it still, and clamp on maybe the head and cylinder?? because it'd have to stay clear of the flywheel. now on a vespa motor, this would be ok, because the crank case aint that big or heavy don't know about a puch tho. moby motor would be easy, just make a hanger stand..lol

Once you get it mounted, how are you going to start it?

Also, unless you are running a Minarelli, you will need a big fan to cool it.

with a drill, it's a vespa ciao motor. and i don't wanna run it long, nothing to get it up to operating temp or anything. just to start it, so that if there are wiring problems, i can fix them before starting over. ciao motors aren't like other mess, you know they gotta be pulled all the way out.

something like this, but this is a big dumb scooter motor

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="

&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Thats a big dumb Vespa scooter motor. They are actually cool in my opinion. They have steel panels, no plastic! I own a 125 Primavera and a Super 150.

Forgot to mention. You could go to Harbor freight and get an engine stand for a car and modify it from there. About $40 to start with but it would come in useful for car rebuilds too.

vespa engines are forced-air cooled too

Most of my racer friends (50, 85, 125, 250 two strokes) build motor stands.

The simplest are just a piece of square tube with two rods welded on so it can fit onto 2 of the motor mounts.

If you drilled and tapped a piece of metal you could screw the rods into it at different positions depending the motor you were testing.

I chopped up a old rusted out maxi frame and use that to hold everything. motor mounts and exhaust mount are exactly where you need em to be. Kill switch and a spare coil are pretty easy to mount to the frame.

I really need to find a small fuel tank and attach that to the system.

I've built a couple motor stands for larger projects, but haven't broken down and built a moped one yet, the hard part is you have to mount to the top or back, the bottom needs to be free, and you need to make it able to clear crazy snarky exhausts. i think the best would be to use rods inside of tubes, with set-screws in them, the way a car engine stand is, then adjust the arms in and out, and angularily, and set the set screw.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account