Timing tool

It's too cold here to spend more than 15 minutes or so in the garage so instead of working on my CV 175 ignition I took a few minutes to make a timing tool for my Motobecane 50V and for the CV.

I based it on the tool someone posted on the MA site:

I stopped at the hardware store today and picked up the parts I needed... except for the spark plug which I rescued from my trash bin.

The bolt is metric with a pitch of 1.0

I drilled out the spark plug and notched the nut so I can more easily use it to measure depth.

Next I tried it all together:

Checked what it will do in use:

Then I reduced the bolt head so it will go into the cylinder:

This is now ready to test out on the bikes. For anyone not familiar with the concept you insert the tool in place of the spark plug. Then you turn the engine to TDC. The ram should rise. Then you spin the adjusting nut down so it just touches the tool body. Now you can set the ram. If you want 2mm BTDC you just unscrew the nut two turns (look at the mark on the nut and back it off two turns)... that's 2mm.

Next you back the engine up slowly until the nut goes down and just kisses the tool body.

That will give you 2mm BTDC. You can dial in whatever setting you want. It should work as good as that tool in the first picture, but the parts should cost around $3 and it should only take about 15 minutes to make.

Respectfully submitted, Terry Horlick

Re: Timing tool

great idea. you should wiki this

That is awesome

nice nice.

wow, pure genius.

Good shit man, another thing I can mess with over winter break. yay.

Terry - excellent tool! What did you use to drill out the plug?

lol everyone is thinking the same. i made one sort of like this wif a hex cap bolt in a extended reach spark plug from a lexus so that the nose of the tool is way too long. that way you can put the motor to tdc and bottom the plug on the top of the piston. turn the motor backwards a quarter turn, thread the plug in 1 1/2 turns, then turn the motor forward until the piston touches the tool. that is 2mm.

i used the lexus plug because it is long reach and it has a 5/8 hex head so it is real easy to get a socket on it.

also instead of smashing the crap out of the porcelin which is sometimes real tough, just cut with a hacksaw above the hex on the rounded shoulder and the porceline just slides out with a little knock on the center electrode. also make sure you file where you snap off the side electrode because it can become a thread ruiner otherwise.

k attached is a picky of the tool i made sort of same like terrys

1197388129_pistontool.jpg

Wari gave me another thought here to make this a dual-purpose tool. If you get another (slightly longer) bolt threaded all the way down, you could shave down the head as Terry did, along with a rounding off a nut. Put the nut on the bolt and slip it into the plug from the engine side - put another nut on the top - and voila! You can use it as a piston stop as well. Then just swap out the bolts when you want to use it for timing purposes.

how do you drill the plug out though, is my only question. seems like a great tool but ive never been able to gut a spark plug. otherwise im all over this.

steve read what i wrote n look at the attach picky

_also instead of smashing the crap out of the porcelin which is sometimes real tough, just cut with a hacksaw above the hex on the rounded shoulder and the porceline just slides out with a little knock on the center electrode_

Timing tool

Hi Terry,

nice job on the tool. I am actually the someone, who posted this originally. I am glad you picked up on the idea and posted this. It just shows you, you can adapt an idea without having to carbon copy it. Just pay attention to the length of the spring. If you have the spring compressed the distance between the bolt head and spark plug washer should be less then 20 mm. About 18mm is fine.. You still should have spring action around 24mm.

warisesis idea is great too. If you are a little inventive, you can fabricate some simple tools to facilitate working on mopeds. I built a few more, which are working very well for the moby.

Mike

you can do it like this Bert or just replace the spring with a 1/4 " pipe and cut it to about say 25 mm, there is your piston stop.. Personally I don't like piston stops...too much change to fuck up the piston. steel bold vs. aluminum piston....guess who the winner is ?

The rope trick never failed me !!

Mike

Another good idea pylo. I've used the piston stop quite a bit, and as long as you're not ramming the piston into it, I don't think there is any problem. If the pisotn is resting against the stop, and the force of taking off the flywheel nut breaks the piston - that psiton was bad and was going to fail anyway - after all, there are multiple explosions going on every second when the ped is running!

I just like the nice firm stop it gives you - lets all of the force be applied to the action desired.

Bert,

First I break out as much of the porcelean as I can with a Channel Lock plier or a hammer or a vice grip plier. Then I chuck it up in my lathe and run a high speed drill bit into it untill it goes all the way through. I have done it in a drill press andit is possible to do it in a vice and use a hand held drill motor.

Any way you do it the porcelean is HARD and can be a bugger to drill out. Use a sharp drill bit and stop every few minutes and re-sharpen it.

I like to do it in the lathe because that way it is quick and easy... I can use lots of force and make lots of chips!

If you don't have a lathe, a mill, a drill press or a drill motor and vice then just get a friend with tools to blast one out for you... be sure to take him (/her) a beer or soda to show your appreciation!

Terry

dont bother drilling out the porcelin just cut off the rounded flange above the hex and the porcelin almost falls out in one poece. see the attachment on mine earlier post. all you need is a hack saw

also dont use a piston stop to stop a piston, use it to hold it in position or you will definately crack the crown.

crack heads do this all the time in SF without the aid of tools, many bikes lose thier sparkplugs locked over night, ur lucky if the fins are in good shape too.

busted sparkplugs make good crack pipes apperently

neat stuff tho

thanks for the great info! i tried to make one like this but i was not able to remove the porcelin so i had to make do but it worked and i found out my timeing is retarted and i need to advance it , do i need to remove the flywheel? to adjust the timeing.

thanks

chttps://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/download.php?f=7&file=1197388129_pistontool.jpg!

!

try this agn

What bike are you timing coco?

sorry its a puch pinto

Sorry, I've only done Mobys! I'll be interested in the responses though, since we've got two Puchs also.

a buddy of mine from texas said that there was a whole rash of car robberies in houston in the 80's, when people figured out how to get the porcelain out of spark plugs with out breaking it. then what you've got is something that will shatter at JUST slightly greater force than you need to break the side windshield on a car . . . combine such a projectile with a slingshot, and you can break a car window with very, very little noise. sort of a handy thing to know how to do ;-)

Two thumbs UP !!!! Excellent !!

A real TRUE Hot Rodder !!

i just bought one that has a micrometer type end. .1mm markings.

post a pic could ya

k

1198011250_timing.jpg

Where'd you find that?

hey matt, how did that timing tool end up wrkng for u

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account