Whos built a badass mountain ped?

I've got a Honda express I am thinking about regearing it realy low and putting some knobby tires on. Think it would be fun to mess around on when I go camping or whatever.

Re: Whos built a badass mountain ped?

That'd be kinda fun, however the Express is kinda... weak.

You'd need to put the PA50 70cc kit on it, an 18mm Mikuni, and hope for the best.

I'm pretty sure there's no way to re-gear the Express transmission without seriously modifying PA50 parts.

Also, getting a tin rear fender would be a good idea as well, considering you wouldn't want a knobby to fling a rock into your gas tank.

Dan

yah it is kinda weak... is it not chain driven? i have to take another look at it. havent spent much time with it yet cus its so....weak.

Ok, 1... Coocooloco is nutz, that's not a Express... his is a Pinto with a frame brace. A LOT stronger.

If you add a frame brace to the express, it'd look like a BMX bike! I'd do it!

I just think you need to look at the transmission... it's a sealed unit with a jack-shaft type setup. There IS a chain in there, and some-sort of sprocket... but I'm not sure they make aftermarket gearing. You could probably find something that works though.

I've personally never opened my transmission on my Express, only changed the oil.

Hrmmm. Now this has me thinking. Frame brace, Beefier front suspension... longer-travel rear suspension... could have a small off-road scooter at best... that damn transmission casing is too Scooter-esque to do any real off-road mods...

Dan

Dan

i have been wanting to build a express bmx it would be so simple .i love them because it so light and porable

I have a beat up Express in Cleveland...

yeah that would be cool but do it with an 82 2 speed they have so much more power

the express just has a bunch of gears if i remember correctly, no chains on the inside. the good news is they are already geared low as hell. put the pa50 kit on there and it will rip from 0-35 mph. the kit runs out of nuts above that cause you cant up the gearing.

oh yeah, probably not the best bike to choose for off-roading

joe schuitema /

The express has a clutch with teeth on it. A short chain runs from the clutch to another axle with two gears. one gear is connected to the chain, and the other to a big gear(the reduction drive). That gear is on the same axle as the actual wheel. I know this becuase I took off the cover on my 82 2 speed express to remove the anodizing or whatever it was, big mistake. Heres a crude picture to justify my post. Joe

the 2 speed trannys are so simple on those you can pull it out in 1 peice and hold it in your hand the whole thing is smaller than a gokart clutch its neat and industructable good honda engineering

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account