Vespa Tecno Estoril on Kinetic TFR pics

Finally got some welding done yesterday. I wanted to keep the pedals so I had to extend the header a bit and turn around the first quarter of the trumpet

! http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f121/macelius/estoril001.jpg

!

I shortened the stinger a bit and relocated the muffler to avoid above heel-tip problem, and decreasing back-pressure a bit. I wanted to be careful with that so right now it's kind of funky but I kind of like it ligned up with the shock line. Easier to cut more out later than add some.

I haven't drilled the holes to turn the tip to the rear yet so it points out to the side for now. If it splatters too much oil I can always cut another bit out of the stinger and point it back more like \, ligned up with the rear incline of the frame, and sticking out past the plate.

The wide-angle baffle cone is still in there for now, and it does hold back after the peak of the power band as expected. It is more than I like so I will be cutting the belly open soon to get rid of that sucker and use the full baffle cone as seen on the outside. The much more reasonable angle should stretch the top end out past the peak.

It is a good chamber to work with though, the rolled cones are thick enough to cut and weld, I don't think I could weld on the chamber of one of the pressed pipes.

Re: Vespa Tecno Estoril on Kinetic TFR pics

Looks cool and good job on it too. I would suggest a support bracket to the silencer, only because of the vibration. Brent

Sweet!

yeah man, thats sick. but you won't need a support for that silencer, i don't think. as long as the pipe expansion chamber is mounted well. show us the rest of your bike!

Lookin' good dude!

Show off the rest of that machine!

Justin

Thanks guys! I was originally going to use the original support clamp on the silencer, with a link bar running to the lower shock mount, but it's surprisingly solid, so I just left it for now.

Rest of it is not much to look at, hehe, clean stock tfr, gonna finish with the drive train first before the looks re-build, Going to have to cut into the frame anyway to fit proper shocks. I don't know how much longer I can wait before doing at least the seat and bars though. New lighting is also in store.

Ok, just a sneak preview.

i've seen those estoril silencers break off, especially if you did a crappy job of welding it (not saying that you did) even though it feels solid, you should probably run a bracket, especially if you are going to want any sort of reliability

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

i've known a few different people who cut and rewelded their silencers like you did (different angles on each of them, though) none of them ever had a bracket for the silencer, none of them ever broke off. you are fine just the way it is.

it's looking good man. have you tuned that variator at all?

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

devo's polini puch has the silencer cut and rewelded, he didn't have a problem. his is more likely to break than yours, too, because the angle he has his at puts more leverage on the weld.

Cool, thanks dean, good to know i'm safe with the clean look, I like the clean look.

Check out my vespa performance variator thread for details, but basically I packed the weights to the max with lead, got to 7.3gr, and was still not variating all the way with the stock spring. I'm still waiting for treats to get heavier ones in. I need some slightly heavier ones to continue packing in increments, and maybe some heavy heavy ones to drill out.

Now that I've got the estoril on it's a bit better at the top end, and sure gets there quicker. Hopefully once the baffle cone is removed it will pull past the peak and I won't need heavier to run with the stock spring, but I want to go to the yellow eventually for different shift rpm/range combo and better belt tension. Really starting to feel the need for the planned case work, and if that does not do it, heavier weights should.

It's frosty out and I took next week off cause I have too much PTO (yay!), so I am debating taking the motor apart. Then again, My 88 montero is sitting there with a big hole under the hood and a freshly re-built engine on a stand in front of it.

Hey, how fast does that TFR go now? Wykonales dobra robote.

According to a couple radar-signs on my way to work and back my ever-trusty is about 7-10mph optimistic. It happilly bobs about 40+ on flat and promptly pegs at 50 on a slight decline.

So, in reality, on a flat, it tears ass to 35 then just tops out past the peak and stays there, feeling like it could give more. It is actually only about as fast as it was before the variator with the polini pipe, but I never have to pedal anymore, and can maintain 20-25 on steep hills, and actually start up them too!

I am hoping for solid 40s with good low-mid range after case/crank work and the variator is properly tuned.

oh yeah, and dziekuje bardzo pf19!

"ever trusty _speedo_", i knew I was missing a word up there somewhere.

Also, add baffle cone removal and eventually malossi 9:1 gearing to the top-speed mods.

Hello, my name is Nikos and I read your thread and I looked at the pictures, and I thought they looked really great!!

I have a Kinetic myself, although here in Sweden its called Baghee, anyway my question is; Is it worth it to remove the contriction between the carb and the crankcase?

I would be very grateful for a reply!

Nikos

Hi Nikos, Thanks!

Yes, it is beneficial to get the most out of a bigger carb like the 13.13. You will need to take apart your engine and split the case, and might as well port match it to your cylinder and cut the crank a bit while you're at it.

You can open it up to 13mm, but DO NOT drill all the way through to the inside! You have to leave enough wall on the square port inside to seal to the crank shaft weight. My instructions say 18mm maximum on a vespa, but it may be a bit off on a kinetic so you have to be careful. You can also open up the port window a little in each direction, and smooth out the corners in the throat of the passage.

Right Way:

Wrong Way:

umm, try again, right way:

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account