Is an A3 worthy of a kit??

I have a tomos A3 and am thinking about throwing a kit on it this winter for a project. The ped is in pretty good shape. Is the A3 motor worth the $$$ for this kind of project?

If the ped is in good shape, go for it. Keep in mind that you may not get huge improvements until you add a performance exhaust.

-Eric

Re: Is an A3 worthy of a kit??

Yeah, I was thinking about going all the way.

- piston/head kit

- exhaust

- carb

- intake

-high flow air cleaner

- those chrome forks with the disk brakes

- heavy duty shocks

- re-gear

-Raepaint the frame

-cafe bars

you will have to swap motors. The a3 motor has a different piston pin size and needs the connecting rod drilled and a 12mm bushing put in it..otherwise aftermarket kits wont fit it..I am sure other people know more than me about it and can chime in on the differences between a3 motors and a35 motors....you could probably port the stock top end and get some improvements too

everyone i know with a 90s tomos opted for the a35 engine. my boy nigel has a golden bullet with an a35 motor on it. a brand new one

the last of the A-3's (A-3N) had the larger wrist pin.

would that be the oil injected a3 motor? I have one ...I was going to sell it because I didnt think u could use a kit on it.

To Me or not to ME /

Its a 1983 that had had the oil injector, which has been removed and intake/injection port tube has been sealed.

Is this still too old of a motor??

How much would it be for an A35 engine if I needed to go that route?

depends, a brand new one is 200-400 bucks used one is much less. i reccomend putting the a35 on that way you can put puch kits on it, or tomos kits, either way, it'll work. just make sure you know what you're doing

does that mean the a35 will fit on my puch?

no the cylinders swap, not the engines themselves. the a-3's can fit a kit, they just have the wrong wrist pin size 10mm instead of 12mm. If you wanted to put a puch 50cc cylinder on, you could keep the stock piston, possibly.

thats what im thinking i can have a 50cc reed valve puch

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

i made an a35 fit on a puch

yes and yes

not the top end, it's curves up, e50s are straight

tomos a3: athena 70 kit, 16mm dellorto carb, silver bullet exhaust. no fiddling with pin, my current love.

oops, sorry, you do need the a35 head. and an intake.

Athena makes kits for he A-3. Wrist pin size is correct for the A-3.

-Eric

really? does anybody in the states ever get them?

does anybody know if you can put a 50cc puch kit on and keep the stock tomos piston?

furthermore, could you put a a-35 jug on a a-3 engine as long as you kept the a-3 piston? i know a-35 jugs are pretty capable and pretty easy (cheap) to get ahold of.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account