Swingarm mod. bearings at the pivit point

I'm designing a swingarm for my 1980 Puch Maxi II. Has anyone modified or redesigned their swingarm to use bearings at the pivot point?

Re: Swingarm mod. bearings at the pivit point

lee's anus is leefungchowOG /

no. your bushing will last FOREVER!

not exactly sure how you would accomplish that using the stock pivot tube.

Out of curiosity, what are the bushing on a maxi made of? Garelli uses shitty plastic ones that get hard and crack.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

just some rubber stuff. 30 year old ones are usually still pliable.

Take a Honda MB5 or MT5 swingarm and install that.

Modifying a normal Maxi swingarm to take bearings isn't really worth the effort.

The stock bushing is good enough for the task. And it lasts a century.

"no. your bushing will last FOREVER!"

Like SF to Argentina is forever give me a break gaylord

Getting a lot of stiction. I have to muscle it to move it and I'm not a tiny guy. Lube???

It's just a rubber sleeve.

Stock Schmock I'm going to fabricate somethin sweet!

stuff a bearing in there and you will feel every link of your chain as it passes over the gear. not so harsh if you are only going for short rides or just building a racer or other short term moped. dont do it on one you plan to ride cross the country the vibration will kill you. the rubber/plastic is to dampen the vibration

y don't you take it apart clean it grease it and maybe tap in grease fittings. bearings would be to much work and you wouldn't gain anything from it.more wieght if anything

Great idea, I think I will go that route.

Not only dose the rubber dampen the vibration it also adds slop to the rear end. If you remove the shocks you can push/pull the swingarm to the right and left. That removes almost all the feedback your rear wheel is giving you and I like to know what my back tire is doing. That's why I like riding on the rigid so much more than on a regular maxi.

MB5 swingarm is an option but there is a lot of modification involved and you loose your pedals. I am working on another way that should work with the stock swingarm but that is going on the magnum project and I have said too much already.

That's true, the Maxi swingarm isn't much of a swingarm. Personally I think that when you need the extra stiffness you also have enough power to lose the pedals, but that seems to be a sensitive matter in the states :P

And why have you said too much?

I don't get the secrecy of you guys (Americans in general I mean :P). The only reason why the Netherlands is so far ahead of you, is because we share everything we know. Well, almost everything. The pro moped racers & tuners won't tell you how they do their work, but that's because it's how they make their living.

I'll be waiting forthe unveiling...then asking a lot of questions

The pedals thing is a bit of a rub over here. I currently don't run em on my rigid but it can and had been a deciding factor for the law. You can get away with a lot of shit if you can prove that your bike can be pedaled.

I agree with you to a point with the secrecy thing. Yet just because I don't share now dose not mean I will not share when I have proof of concept in hand. When I know something works it is always posted so fellow mopeders can utilize it. I just like to get the kinks out first.

When it comes to stuff I'm working on in my garage I will give advice and info on threads that have the same questions I am trying to answer. But like to work things through from start to finish on my own.

I share any _secrets_ but only after i have tried what i am talking about so i know it works unless it is a plan then im just telling what i am thinking of but that is all.

I also share my secrets, but most people don't listen to them anyways. IM me sometime, I'll almost assuredly spill my guts.

Secrets are bad. They're no way to make friends. Just because I have a super secret winter project doesn't mean I didn't tell everybody who would listen who came to BomBourbon Run II. Info is good.

nothing stays secrect for long......it comes out sooner or later.

we will see about that, only one other person knows the whole story so I know who to hurt if there are leaks.

Roald,

The reason for the secrecy is we are so spread out that we only get to see each other a couple times a year, aside from our branches. That makes it that much more special when we do get together, to bring out something nasty and impressive. I usually try to keep my mouth shut (which i suck at) until i finish my project, then i always mean to doccument, but i'm bored with the last thing, and already onto the next. Besides, i haven't really built anything remarkable yet worth doccumenting. Unless you consider a 'old style' aluminum maxi cylinder doing a shade over forty impressive. Besides i still dont have a frickin digital camera, which i really need to like, invest in soon.

:p

Ah, ok. Point taken.

Wasn't meant as an attack by the way. I was just tyring to state a remarkable difference.

And yeah, it's cool to show up on a meeting and amaze all who are there. Feels great to get some recognition for the effort :D

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account