av7 vs. av10

so i did some reading and i'm aware of some of the differences between av7s and av10s. I've read and been told how to switch up the stators to make it compatible with my 76 6v 50v. My question now is are the STOCK cylinders/topends interchangable? If i get an av10 bottom can i use my existing av7 topend?

Im looking to do some engine work on my av7 this winter (aka like 2 weeks when its too cold to ride) and the thing isnt in awesome shape. im starting to think if im gonna spend a bunch of money i might as well just ditch my av7 and get an (apparently) better av10. That way if i get it all nice and happy stock i can look forward to more upgrades someday. instead of w/ my av7 which is so-so and will never really be too happy. If the topends are interchangable itd be nice to know I can just use my av7 top end for a while till i get something better.

Thanks,

-Steve

Re: av7 vs. av10

No, the top ends are different, the first thing to take note of is that one is crank case inducted, the other is piston port inducted. Get a top end kit for an AV88 engine, it is almost a bolt on to an AV7 crankcase.

If you want to go the AV10 route, just buy the whole thing in performance pieces, by the time you import a stock engine, even if you get it cheap, it will cost you more in the long run after you upgrade it. I would ask Bret Hoffman about the AV10s, I'm not that familiar with working on them.

i wouldnt be importing one in the first place. i may have someone who has one to sell. it may not be a bad idea to get performance pieces right off the bat, but i would like to blueprint the thing and make sure its running stock before i start modifying it.

Blueprinting isn't as complictaed as that, it just means that you weight and measure the parts, while you assemble it, and take note.

it means returning it to factory specs, fixing any defects in manufacturing

but then again you know everything.

Not from what I read, blueprinting is just documenting what was done to the engine.

Go look up blueprinting under hot rods. You asked for information, if you already know the answers to your own questions why did you bother asking?

did i ask what blueprinting was? no, i didnt. so im not answering my own questions nor do I know the answers to my own questions. I acknowledged your idea was a valid one, and then offered my counterproposal.

Look up blueprinting under hot rods? you mean like in a dictionary? Yea, you should try it too:

"the procedure of improving the performance of an engine by dismantling and then rebuilding the reciprocating parts so that they meet exact tolerances."

thanks for your help and advice, arran. why dont you go shed some of your infinite knowledge on someone else.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/7/55155/55155/

You can run an av7 cylinder with an av10 bottom end but it is just not a good idea to.

Picking up a used av10 is actually a very penny wise idea.

totally not worth using an AV7 top end with an AV10 bottom. just get a complete one in good shape.

if you are going to get a av10 bottom end you might as well get the whole engine. and get me one while you are at it, i do take donations. lol

ech. probably not an av10 in the first place. the guy thought it was, but then asked "how do i tell if its a 10 or 7?" and to be honest with him i didnt know what the distinguishing characteristics were. i figured if he doesnt know what it is, its a 7 cause it came off some random bike in america. what are the distinguishing characteristics?

u could use the av7 topend with an av10 bottom and it will work fine, as long as you plug the av7 intake hole with a steel plate and put some aluminum epoxy putty around the transfers and under the blocked intake.

seriously ran that for like a month, a few air leaks but if u wanted to do it long term and with a stock cylinder it would work fine if u mod the cylinder a bit.

dudes in South America do this all the time on minerellys, no probs.

read that whole thhread its pretty informative for an initial does of moby performance knowledge, we all know alot more now and r keeping the moby fronts fresh for everyone.

watercooled, comming soon, as is an indepth review of the clutch pully after hundereds of miles, as well as the er3 variator, and a look at the ninga pipe a couple thousand miles later.

malossi varioplus setup info too.

ps blueprinting is matching all the parts to the original factory blueprints, i.e. cleaning up and correcting all manufacturing defects.

blue printing is nessary for optimal performance, and a must on polini parts.

i read that thread and theres a lot thats handy cool info and there is a lot that is over my head as of now. i guess i can still buy these engines for extra parts if theyre pretty cheap, but an av10 is outa my reach for a while. i guess i just gotta keep pluggin on the engine i got till its perfect... so close! then performance work this winter. PUMPED

-Steve

its all in reach really $$$$$$$$$$$$$

or u can be creative and be like wari, or the dudes in South america

elliot, does your clutch pulley ever chatter after crusing around at slow (25-30) speeds for a long time with lots of stop and go?

ya you can ask me if i have the answer for you or whateva. i put lots of work into the orange moby on a very very low budget. i gots no secrets wif the moby so ask away. best time on it is 82.9kmh or 51.8mph mathed out from my tach and not from the horrible stock speedo.

my reliability is down tho at this speed i split a seam on my pipe or maybe it is just a bad weld. anyway maybe some of my stuff will help.

my clutch pully is in really bad shape.

it no longer has the starting function and just freewheels then when it heats up it does what u just described but the starting function works again.

i start it with an allen key.

wari i still find it hard to beliive ur stock bike goes 50, did u build a pipe or what, or is it just that pully variator thing u made. ported stock setup, carb??

damn wari i knew you were good.... but 50 stock thats wild. I will definitely utilize(and have definitely been utilizing) you as a resource. thanks for the help so far. before i start delving into the wonderful wari-tricks, though, i need to get the moby running tip-top. I know, ive been saying that for a while, but i'm busy as hell and the weather is poor. Just gotta kick this backfiring issue, hopefully with some timing play. but after that, trust me, you will wish you never offered to help me in the first place! Thanks to all the frenchies,

-Steve

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account