20 MPH, what next?

Ok, I have done everything thinkable except change the exhaust and the gears on my 1978 puch maxi with no results. I still run no faster than 20 mph. It runs beautifully, but I just can't break that limit. Here is the setup:

1978 maxi e50 engine 1 HP stock with the intake drilled out to match my 14mm carb and manifold. 68 jet on the carb, stock air filter. I have cleaned the engine, the carb, the exhaust, the gas tank, and replaced the fuel switch and filters. I get great gas flow and good compression. I have 14 tooth front and 45 tooth back (I think 45, the count is off a little each time. I haven't actually taken it off to count it)

What do I do next. I don't need 50 mph, but 25 to 30 would be nice.

Thanks in advance, you guys have been very helpful in getting it running this far!

Re: 20 MPH, what next?

Do you run the stock exhaust? Try cleaning it out, it might be clogged on carbon build-up.

Just take it off and take it apart and see how bad it is. If its badly clogged you can burn it out.

You do that by putting a lil gasoline in (wihtout 2-stroke oil ;)) and setting fire to it. After burning a while, tap the outside gently with a rubber hammer.

clean the exhaust pipe def.

he has a 1hp model, isnt' there a restrictor in the exhaust? just get a performance pipe. a bullet will do just fine for stock engine, and with that huge rear sprocket, you won't loose too much acceleration when you get a bullet, which is a top end pipe

The stock pipe is clean. i drilled bigger holes in the baffle and derestricted the exhaust just like the article said to. Do you really thing a new exhaust will lead to increasded speed?

hell yes it will. thats what they do :-)

change that front sprocket to a 16.

you need a highflow air filter and to upjet your carb again.

your stock air box and your filter are restricting your flow.

if you want around 30-35mph do this. i did this to a 1982 murray puch 20mph version

bing highflow filter (looks like k&N) $15

biturbo exhaust for puch e50 $77.77

upjet 3 jets for new filter and 2-3 more for exhaust $22.??

give or take since i dont know what your stock jet was. i went from a #52 to a #72

your gearing is the same as mine

depending on how much you weigh my set up can get to 40mph with a 140lb rider, or to 35mph with a 170lb rider.

also do some plug chops freds guide

e-mail me if you need help...... vegamew2394@yahoo.com

plug chop looks great as it is! if i replace the exhaust will i need to do the air filter and upjet too, or will the exhaust do it for me?

Unless you live in a really hilly area, I would switch to a 16 tooth front sprocket and rig up a less restrictive air filter.

you got 40 mph with the 1 hp model? did you mess with the gear ratio, or just the exhaust, air filter and jets?

Update... I have the high flow filer and after further review realized I have a 12mm not 14mm and the jet was 58 not 68. I up jetted to 64 and switched to a NGK b6hs plug. I also messed with the back sprocket and am running 14 x 38 now. Top speed is 24 mph. What gives? Shouldn't I be tearing it up with those improvements?

isn't a 45 rear sprocket kind of big? i think if you get a 41 tooth rear sprocket that might help your top end . . . that's what i've got on mine, which otherwise matches yours, except that i've got a bullet exhaust, and i top out around 30, 32

ok i think 1hp models had a 12mm intake . take off intake and look at hole in the cylinder. i think puch put a restricter in there. so 14mm carb and 14mm intake but cylinder is only 12. not sure how you take it out.

forgot to tell you take off head gasket. do you have thick one or very thin.

one more thing. stock exhast did you take out the two pins in exhust pipe.

seals? do you eat ATF or mysteriously gain it?

J - yeah a 45 is big. My ped was 12 x 45 stock. I changed to 14 x 45 and wasn't happy so I went to 14 x 38. My acceleration is not bad, but it really doesn't feel like it is winding up all the way. Do you have a 1 HP? I would love to get 30 - 35 mph on a flat.

Tim - I dropped the head gasket and de-restricted my exhaust as the first 2 steps after she was running. You are correct, there was a nasty steel ring that chocked the intake to about 10 mm. With enough force, I popped that ring out and bored it clean to about 14 mm. It came with and I still am running the 12mm carb and intake although I am toying with buying a 15mm carb (I have a 15mm intake already, that was the cheap part.).

Graham - ATF is good, no leaks that I can tell. Is 24 mph really all you can get out of the stock e50? I have the #2 with the open ports. I am 6'2" and 210 lbs. but it doesn't seem to go any faster for my 150 lb wife....

I just went thru the routine you have with similar results. What will get you the extra MPH is a pipe. I got one at the mopedwarehouse and now it will top out at right about 30. I also switched out the stock 1 hp cylinder with a 1.5 #2 type. I've owned a lot of Puchs and every stock one that I have ever had has been a dog. I know that they can run strong as I've seen them at rallys keeping up with my Peugeot U-3 TSM. Gotta keep tweeking it.

Is the #2 the open port or the closed port? I know I have the open port one, but can't remember which number was on it. Also, will I need a bigger jet for the performance exhaust?

I'm not sure what you mean by the open port. I kept the ofiginal #3 piston and just shortened up the intake side piston skirt to match the original number 2 piston. I bought 3 extra jets with my pipe but they were all too big. I drilled out the original jet and got lucky as it runs spot on perfectly thruout the rpm range.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Puch_Maxi_Cylinder_Information

look at the first 2 engines. The first one is open right into the cylinder. the second one is closed or cut off from the cylinder and has 2 holes further down.

Switch to 16x45 gearing. That's what most of the bikes came with. If yours has 14x45, that was to keep it slow.

Ok I see what you mean. Mine is the open type. I think I could add a tooth or two to the front sprocket and get away with it probably add 2-4 MPH more at this point. When I first got my 1 hp running 17 MPH was about it and it would struggle to go faster. I removed the restrictor and rejetted, it would go maybe 21. I added the pipe and sprocket and it would cruise easily at 20 and top at about 25, I changed the cylinder and now it goes about 30. Here is a photo of mine, under 100 original miles

1195169775_maxi_sport_field_right.jpg

So here is what I have in my possession:

12, 13, 14 tooth front and 38, 45 tooth rear.

The 12 x 45 got me to 18 mph

The 13 x 45 got me to 20

The 14 x 45 got me to 21

The 13 x 38 got me to 23

The 14 x 38 also got me to 23

The 14 x 38 should get me 2 mph faster, but it just doesn't. I have used GPS to confirm it. That leads me to the conclusion that I lack the muscle to get the stupid thing going any faster. Is that correct? How do I get more power without changing cylinders? Will the pipe really make the difference? I have the high flow filter and 12mm carb and intake running a 64 jet and it runs great with no weight on it.

A performance exhaust will REALLY REALLY make a difference. As we say over and over again, it's the single best thing you can do to your bike. A 14mm carb and intake wouldn't hurt either. Also, you should be able to find a 16th front sprocket for super cheap.

Is it 4 stroking? Mine wouldn't sing with a 64 jet even with a pipe on it.

I should add that I am using the stock airbox to keep it quiet.

I also wonder if you're over-jetted. If I remember right, I have a 64 on my Newport and it has a high-flow filter and a pipe. Most stock Puchs I've seen come with a 56.

They are awfully loud without the airbox, but the stock airbox will slow you down considerably.

I was running a 56 with the stock air box. I have a high flow air filter now. I tried a 62 and it wouldn't run at WOT with that filter on. Will a 16 sprocket on the front do any good if the 14 x 38 didn't improve? Basically it seems like it will kill my acceleration and leave my top speed alone. When I run the ped on it's stand it screams, but the second I put a rider on it, it hums along smooth but doesn't wind up to (just guessing here) even 1/2 the RPM s. I really feel that if I can get the ped to wind up like it does on the stand I'll be ok. Bigger carb and intake? and I am definitely getting the pipe!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account