Malaguti Performance

I ride a Malaguti Commuter 2. It runs a steady top end of 25 mph but the acceleration time seems too long, especially on any incline. I'm trying to get it tuned up for the Red October Rally, anyone have some advice on how to give the Malaguti a few extra mph? Bigger Carb? Performance exhaust? Both? Where should I look? I've heard of 50cc.nl but I'm just not sure what I should look for specifically or if I should even try to order and replace the parts on my bike with 11 days to go. Thanks for reading.

Re: Malaguti Performance

throw a kit on that bitch. you try switching up your oils yet, just temporarily?

No I havn't. I'll try that first when I put the bike back together. I took everything off the frame yesterday, gonna clean and paint it, and then I'll switch over to tranny fluid. Last time I did an oil change I switched to tranny and all it could do was roll at a few miles/hour and dump a bunch of smoke out the exhaust, so I switched to engine oil. When I emptied what was inside it the first time, the oil was an extreme shade of shit brown, so we figured the bike took engine oil instead of tranny fluid, unless of course it was really really old tranny fluid and lost all that pink. The moped manual used the word "oil" to describe transmission lubrication rather than "fluid" so we just assumed tranny fluid just wasn't what it needed. Any other ideas?

the tranny fluid shouldnt have made a difference in how much smoke was coming out. but if it made it crawl around at a few mph then it was probably no good. i dunno, i just feel like it has been getting slowly worse as you go. If your bike looks fly then it should be fine goin 25mph. Have you cleaned your exhaust out and whatnot? You could always try pantyhosing and upjetting. Find out what jet you have in. I have a few extra you can mess around with. besides that, have keegan help you out. also i replied to that email that nick sent out but he hasnt replied. I dont know if ill be able to make it. i may be too busy with school shit.

-Steve

Well since I have the exhaust off I'll clean it and if I don't get a new one I plan on painting it with some high temp black. But how would I clean out the inside?

see if anything comes apart, like if there are any blots or tabs that open it up. i forget what it was like. If it doesnt, you just have to use a long wire brush/pipe cleaner thing with some engine degreaser/greased lightning. Check how bad it is before you really go to town. Stick something down there and see how much black carbon comes out. Clean it accordingly. Read fred's guide (under resources>articles) on how to fix a moped. buncha good shit in there, tells you how to do everything. decarbonize your whole ish while you're at it. Keegan should know how to do all that too. What colors are you painting it? What paints are you using? Did you get your computer back if your making these posts?

-esteban

bump

clean and regap your points bud, that alone can make a big difference in how it runs. from there go for free power by inceasing your compression if possible, 20-40psi more than stock can really give a kick in the pants to most engines.

how do you increase your compression? remove head gasket? milling the head down is probably out of the question for this noob.

I'm going to the nearest automotive store tomorrow to buy the closest to gas resistant paint they got. I'm not sure what colors until I see the selection but I plan on keeping the tank and fenders white and for the frame maybe dark green or dark dark purple. And no, the po-neezies havn't found my laptop yet so I used school computers when I get a chance.

Haha. He's right. I can manage taking out the head gasket, but do you have any other suggestions on increasing that compression, Bitter?

somebody help this po motha fucka

get some sheets of emory cloth, both coarse and smooth, then some 100 grit, 150, and 200 grit sandpaper. slide the head back and forth and in figure 8's for an hour each night for a week on the coarse, then make it smooth with the other grits of paper. you'll have a little more compression and a very strong arm. this is of course assuming that your head is the type that does not have a recess that a lip on the cylinder fits into. if thats the case then its a little more involved.

haha an hour each night for a week... but only starting on a Thursday, after autumn's third moon. just playing.... but really... are there any measurements hes going for, or just until the metal becomes soft as an ox's underbelly? That way he could mark it off and sand down to that. good advice though.

eh, moped compression is generally so low that theres alot of space between the plug and piston. you have to sand for a long long long time to take off enough to get into trouble. i've done it with tecumseh and BS heads before, you need a machine to take off enough to do any damage really, or sand it like a lunatic! he can use a little spray paint to check flatness tho, dust the head with spraypaint and then sand it against a flat surface. that'll show any high and low spots. the goal when done is to have it flat and to have taken a little off.

if he wants to get into it hardcore then he needs to pour liquid parafin into the engine at TDC, install the plug, let it cool, remove the plug, then pop the head off. that'lll give him a decent idea of his claarences and allow for an easy measurement of the plug to piston gap.

yea, that all makes sense. would running sans-gasket accomplish the same thing, but add the risk of actually losing compression via the untight seal?

those morini engines typically have a huge head gasket, i would remove that, its about the width of two credit cards

drilling out the manifold helps, its usually 12mm if i remember right,

drilling some serious holes in the air box and up jetting helps

and a pipe is going to make a big difference, get a bullet or something on there and it should be well into the mid 30's

are there any exhausts that bult right up to the malaguti? any modifications required? probably a few...

yeah polini makes one, and its pretty terrible, and hard to come by

i would personably try and make something better fit

I appreciate all the comments guys. I just finished cleaning and sanding the the frame, fenders, and gast tank for a fresh paint job. Now that I've got all this advice I'll be able to try out some of these tricks after she's put back together and running.

Thanks again for the help so far.

Chris

PS Steve, screw UNH, come to Red October.

you have no idea how bad i want to man. nick g emailed me with details and i emailed him back. he never responded whats the final deal? I kiiiinda can miss classes on friday, but no such luck on monday. if we're not defnitely be back by sunday night, theres no chance. whats the final cost of ish? he mentioned a uhaul. what do we need that for? if you can get some details i can see what i can do.

-Steve

yo kid. see chase's facebook for a good example of how you can suspend your frame for painting. its in the grafiti section. also, read the post in Performance Tuning called head milling DIY or something. it doesnt seem that hard. they have a lot of really good ideas that are less time consuming.

-Sergei

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account