Cold, fast. Warm, not so much.

Cleats Onionpockets /

When I first start out in the morning my puch has terrific acceleration. It's running a 70cc kit, a techno boss exhaust, and a 14mm bing with a 78 jet. It also has a high flow air filter made from a car's crankcase breather. Once it's been running for a while though, say a mile or two, the acceleration slacks off, and it has a tough time holding an idle. It will be idling nice and high (which is where I likes it) and then it will just quit. Not slow down and splutter, just die out as if someone took the fuel away. It's very confusing.

When I first start out (after having let it warm up as well) I do not need to use the pedals at all to give it a boost. After I've been going a bit, I do. Any ideas?

Re: Cold, fast. Warm, not so much.

Air density changes noticeable with weather, your engine will behave as if supercharged until the engine reaches operating temperatures or the air temperature around you increases. I engine operates best without seizure at around 15degree Celcius and starts to operate very poorly after 30degree Celcius, I move the needle notch up one when it gets like that to lean out the mix.

are you fouling plugs?

Cleats Onionpockets /

Not yet, everything's coming out a nice coffee brown. A bit darker than it should be, but nowhere near fouling territory.

My moped works the opposite I feel like. When the engine warms up I feel like I get a lot more top speed and I get there much quicker.

Cleats Onionpockets /

That's what I'd love to have....alas, it is not to be.

My Polini is the EXACT same way.

Basics:

64cc Polini

15mm Bing

high flow air filter

bullet exhaust

ported engine etc.

It starts awesome all the time. Even starts and idles great whether it's warm or cold.

However...it does make more power when it's cold and after a mile or 2...just like yours it's a little bit slower.

It still rips on the top end but it's a hair slower. I figure it's a little rich because it cranks up cold awesome even without choke. I guess I could try to lean it out but...I've been lazy.

try running without gas cap on see how it does.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account